High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. CarlB7

CarlB7 Bit poster

Just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina) and Parallels Version 15.0.0 (46967) and having a constantly running fan and major battery drain due to Mac process bsdtar. System is a 2016 13" MacBook Pro. What is bsdtar and why does it run long at 100% cpu usage?

JoaoK, Xennof, mark36 and 2 others like this.
  2. AnastasiosG

AnastasiosG Bit poster

Same problem with me

3. AnastasiosG

AnastasiosG Bit poster

Does this has to do with this file ? Can we delete it to stop? Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 09.49.32.png

4. JariH

JariH Bit poster

Same problem here.

TedW1 likes this.
  5. TomS27

TomS27 Bit poster

Same issue with me

TedW1 likes this.
  6. SelvM

SelvM Bit poster

Also have the same issue, any suggestions how to solve it?

7. RichardF11

RichardF11 Bit poster

Same problem here.
    Thank you to the comments above. My workaround was to uninstall parallels toolbox as a I rarely use it. Not a fix.
    I am running parallels 14.1.3 and have not used it since installing catalina last week.
    The bsdtar process started this morning out of the blue, eventually freezing the machine. A couple of restarts and the process proliferated.

Ader and iuliann like this.
  8. JimC3

JimC3 Bit poster

I also have the same problems.
    Running Parallels 15.0.0 and MacOS Catalina 10.15. bsdtar takes around 100% CPU. Windows Task Manager shows very little CPU consumed. I updated Parallels Toolbox (again), to no effect. Quitting Parallels Toolbox also had no effect.

TedW1 likes this.
  9. iuliann

iuliann Bit poster

Thank you for this "workaround"!

10. JimC3

JimC3 Bit poster

The MacOS Catalina 10.15 Supplemental update seems to have eliminated this problem for me.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  11. TedW1

TedW1 Bit poster

I deleted Parallels Tool Box and rebooted my MacBook Pro and my issue went away...Hope everyone finds this to be a workable solution. I hope that Parallels updates their Tool Box code to work with Catalina

12. PankajT1

PankajT1 Bit poster

I was using Parallel Desktop V13 and after upgrading to Catalina found that my Parallel Windows takes more than 100% CPU. To fix it I just "Reinstall Parallel Tool" for windows and it works fine at my end.

13. sagifer

sagifer Bit poster

The same issue with v13, and the client windows is very slow. According to some popup, the v13 not supported for the Catalina. What?

14. DeanJ

DeanJ Bit poster

Having the same issue described in this thread. I am running Catalina (and have installed all updates) and Parallels 15 (and have installed all updates. Checked to make sure that my VM is using the recommended number of processors (as per the Parallels post above) - and it is - and still having the issue. Fan is running at high speed and have 5 "bsdtar" processes running at nearly 100%. Super frustrated. Anyone know how to fix this? Is Parallels aware of this issue and working on a fix?

15. EdK5

EdK5 Bit poster

I too have been having problems with bsdtar (it was using 100% CPU and eventually the Mac ran out of 'app memory'). I have all the updates to both Catalina and Parallels. It would appear to be a process that is started by the Mac version of Parallels Toolbox. I went into the Toolbox settings and told it not to start at login/startup. I then rebooted the computer, Toolbox did not start, and neither has the bsdtar process. Assuming this continues to be the case, it means that I can start Toolbox when I need it, and then reboot to get rid of the bsdtar process. This is a preferable option to uninstalling Toolbox for me, as I do use it. Of course, hopefully there will be a proper fix in due course.

16. Guys, could you reproduce the issue and collect the tech report right after that please?
    Please do not forget to post the report's ID here.

17. tvieira

tvieira Bit poster

It seems that everytime Mac OS starts the process bsdtar starts and tries to write into /Users/USER/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox, 2 files: toolbox_report.xml and toolbox_report.xml.tar.gz This last one has Zero Bytes. So I think this is a problem related to trying to write that tar.gz file. Don't know if this could be a permission problem. From the Activity Monitor is possible to Kill this process. Parallels Toolbox runs fine. An update is required.

ShawnT likes this.
  18. SabraB

SabraB Bit poster

Same issue here. I think I'm going to do what poster EdK5 is doing, at least for now.

ShawnT and mark36 like this.
  19. ShawnT

ShawnT Bit poster

Same with bsdtar and the offending files. Quitting the process via Activity Monitor is the only thing that seems to work. Parallels and Mac OS fully updated. Re-occurs when I reboot and restart Parallels. PLEASE FIX.

RedB likes this.