Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. PeterH40

PeterH40 Bit poster

Confirming that the system works on an iMac running Cortana but not on the MacBook pro with the same macOS update. Still stuck checking the disk on Win10 boot.

2. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

Same here, getting it on Catalina too. Force quitting Parallels is like pulling teeth (takes forever) and even after it's force quit, the whole system is unstable and there are spinning beachballs all over the place. It's always as if Parallels has left something behind that buggers up the whole system. Running "top" in the Terminal shows that there is still something called Parallels Service running! Trying to kill it now... It's like Parallels has turned into Malware.

3. aaronlyon

aaronlyon Junior Member

I have just found this thread. I have been suffering from this issue for the past couple of weeks, and the system freezes have grown worse and worse until launching Parallels on my Mac (v15) with the Windows 10 image makes my iMac unresponsive. I trashed every Parallels file and reinstalled, and also updated to OS Catalina, but no improvement. Now I'm stuck on the Windows 10 Home boot up window, with "Checking disks after improper shutdown." Trying to generate error reports.

4. aaronlyon

aaronlyon Junior Member

support number 323729337

Further, even after quitting Parallels, "Windows 10 Home" remains running in background (visible in Activity Monitor) and continues to cause system slowness. Even after force quitting this process and "Parallels" process in Activity Monitor, system is STILL plagued by pauses. Only fix is reboot.

5. DavidG47

DavidG47 Bit poster

Is there any point in taking my bricked Macbook Pro to an Apple Store?

6. MartinN2

MartinN2 Bit poster

Is Parallels team going to do ANYTHING with this?!?!?! How many logs do you need? I am following this discussion since page 3 when my wife called me that she has a problem with Parallels and what happened since then? NOTHING. Great job! I have seen complaints of some 200+ licenses users, in my case it is only one license, but it is absolutely crucial for my wife to have it working.

7. MartinN2

MartinN2 Bit poster

Just out of curiosity - did anyone try to get older version of Parallels installed to see if it is working?

8. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

They will likely boot it into Safe Mode, which you could try yourself. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201262
    You should also boot into Recovery Mode, launch Disk Utility and perform First Aid on the disk.
    If all fails, boot into Single User Mode and delete (rm -r) /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app, assuming that app is the issue.
    Also a good idea to reset SMC, NVRAM/PRAM.

9. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

This is ridiculous. Cost me thousands of dollars in work.

Still no response, no nothing. They stopped responding to me 2 pages ago.

10. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

It looks like we are screwed until the Parallels 15.1 update: https://kb.parallels.com/124705

I was stuck in an endless crash/restart loop. I had to run Safe Mode and delete Parallels to stop the crashing. I'm just using it for Quickbooks so I can manage but it sucks for those who need the software on a daily basis.

11. RobA3

RobA3 Bit poster

I just dealt with this same issue and it was a disaster. Probably 10 hours of active troubleshooting + letting it try to work itself out overnight. The only solution that worked was restoring my entire system via Time Machine. I'm now back up and running (for now, knock on wood).

The symptoms were consistent with what others have posted:
    • Booting up the VM - I'd get a message about "checking disk after improper shutdown". In some cases it would show the MS DOS boot up view and say "Trying to boot from SATA drive 1". In both cases the VM and entire computer would become slow & unresponsive to the point the entire machine was unusable.
    • I performed several forced shutdowns + reboots with disk repair / first aid. The Mac would start running normally after that until trying to boot the VM, then the whole process would repeat.
    I'm not sure what triggered this but I did attempt to delete a Snapshot so I could increase the hard drive space of the VM. The VM froze during this process and I had to restart. That is when the trouble began.

This whole episode wasted a day plus of productivity and has me considering alternatives to Parallels (other VM, bootcamp, or just getting a windows laptop). This is simply unacceptable, especially the fact that the broader system is negatively impacted even after force quitting Parallels. The lack of updates / meaningful communication from Parallels in this thread (and others) has only made the experience with your company worse. Parallels GmbH needs to change its ways and fix this.

Sincerely, a very unsatisfied customer who is actively seeking alternatives to your product and no longer advocating its use,
    Rob

12. strells

strells Product Expert

It's not just Catalina (as that KB states). I'm still on Mojave and having all the issues in this thread.

13. MartinN2

MartinN2 Bit poster

Anyone knows how to get 15.0 release? I am going to roll back my wife's Mac to Mojave, but it seems this will be just one piece of this puzzle and oven on Mojave Parallels 15.1 does not work...

14. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I switched to VMWare and haven't had any issues as of yet.
    This problem cost me thousands in work/time. Disappointed in the service is an understatement.

15. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

16. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

And that's exactly how my trouble began as well.

17. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

I see there is a v15.1.0 out now. It's kinda odd that Parallels didn't immediately inform us about it, in this thread...
    Trying to give it a spin now.

18. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

v15.1.0 does not solve the issue. Spinning beachballs commence as soon as the "Starting..." splash screen shows up. I'm hereby deleting this App from my computer and moving on to a competing product.

19. PaulG12

PaulG12 Bit poster

After updating Parallels Tools on the VM and trying to reboot the VM I had to force quit and eventually just hold the power button on my Mac. After my Mac booted back up and restarted the VM the performance seems to be better. I'll know more after I've used it a while.

20. Guys, please update your Parallels Desktop to the latest build 15.1.0 check the issue and let us know how does it work.
    If the issue still persists, please collect the tech report and post the report's id here.
    Also describe issue in more details.
    Looking forward to your reply

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019