Password for macOS VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EricS23, Oct 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. EricS23

EricS23 Bit poster

I have just created a macOS 10.12 VM as offered in the Control Center. It starts up and shows me my usual user icon along with a Guest User. However, when I specify the usual password for accessing my user account it is rejected with only, after a few attempts, a message saying I can '...reset it useng your Apple ID'. I haven' progressed any further - what should I be doing?
    Really I wanted to create a VM running my current macOS 10.14.6 (to run parallel to Catalina). Any suggestions how I can achieve that would also be gratefully accepted! Or directions to further hints.

2. Hi I've found this link for the resetting password question. Yes, it's for Mojave, but may be it will useful for you.
    Ans please clarify which issue did you get during the macOS VM installation? Did you choose the create VM-> and then macOS?

3. EricS23

EricS23 Bit poster

Thank you, Maria. The solution linked too looks rather complicated, so I haven't tried it yet but will do so later if I can't find an easier solution.
    I didn't create a VM myself (these is my first attempt with Parallels, so I don't know the environment). I started the VM by clicking the macOS 10.12 entry in the list displayed in the Control Center...
    image.png
    Then it ran like a Mac Startup (with the apple and progress bar) until this screen appeared...
    Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 15.50.16.jpg
    When I clicked on the 'Eric Sprigg' icon, I was asked for a password and after failed attempts (I have tried everything I could think of), it ended like this...
    Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 15.51.53.jpg
    I haven't progressed beyond that (except that I can get into the Guest User account OK). Is there perhaps some default password for the account that I don't know? And what does it mean by '...reset it using your Apple ID'?

4. EricS23

EricS23 Bit poster

One other question: are the VMs shown in the Control Center screenshot above default VMs set up by Parallels or are they VMs I have created sometime myself? I have no memory of doing that and can find no reference to ever creating the VMs in my diary (at least back to 2016) but I suppose I might have forgotten (I don't remember ever using Parallels seriously in the past, although the program has been on my system for a while). I had till now assumed they were default values but, if I did create them, then I have indeed forgotten the password :-( But I suppose I could just create a new VM with macOS 10.14 Mojave.