Unable to transfer VM with TPM to another mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ivahost, Oct 13, 2019.

1. ivahost

ivahost Member

After adding a TPM module to my VM I am not able to move it to another mac following the procedure in the KB https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702

Since the System keychain password is not known (it is not the login password) importing it into the keychain on the machine where you are moving the VM to is impossible. Is there a working way to do this?

I remember that in the initial version of Parallels Desktop 15 it said that the TPM password would be shared in the icloud keychain but this has been changed pointing to the KB above that I am not able to get working.

Adding a TPM the way it is now means that there is no way to move the VM to another machine and I also suspect that doing a time machine restore after a disk crash will make the VM's useless as well.

-Ivar

2. @ivahost, are you using macOS Catalina?

3. ivahost

ivahost Member

Yes, I am running the released version of Catalina.

4. Please update to he latest build of Parallels Desktop (15.1.0) and ley us know how does it work.
    If noting change please reproduce the issue, collect the tech report and post the report's ID here.

5. ivahost

ivahost Member

Updated parallels to 15.1 and created a fresh Windows pro vm with a TPM chip. Copied from my iMac Pro to my MacBook Pro and got the warning about the missing key when trying to start the VM there. I then copied the system.keychain from the iMac Pro and moved it to the MacBook Pro (calling it copy.keychain) and opened it in keychain access. I can see the TPM in this keychain but starting there VM has the same problem.

The password for the system keychain is not known (only known to the OS itself) so copying the keychain to another computer does not actually transfer the TPM password since you do not have the password to open the copy of the system keychain on the other machine. I think you need to store the TPM password in the iCloud Keychain or the login keychain. Storing it in the system keychain makes it non transferable.

I have attached a screen recording showing my steps but I am not able to upload it to the post.

6. mmika

mmika Pro

Ivahost, after you copied Vm on MacBook Pro, how did you registered it in PD?
    Did Parallels ask you question about VM was "copied" or "moved"?

7. ivahost

ivahost Member

It did not get that far. The warning about missing the TPM password appears and I pressed stop.

I registered by dragging the VM from finder into the control panel of parallels.

8. ivahost

ivahost Member

Here is a youtube link to the screen recording