Parallels 13 run on Mac OS Catalina 10.15?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by VasilA, Oct 10, 2019.

?

Anyone else having such an issue?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VasilA

VasilA Bit poster

Hello,

Paralles 13 was running good with the previous version of Catalina, but after I updated to 10.15 everything started to load terrible. To clarify what I mean is that opening a browser takes up to 20-25 seconds, playing a video takes forever and the CPU spikes go up to 106%. Thus far I haven't seen any suggestions for the high CPU spikes or how the terrible latency to go away.

Looking forward to any suggestions to clear the issue.

2. JohnC24

JohnC24 Bit poster

Hi,
    Parallels Support just informed me that Parallels Desktop 13 is NOT compatible with Catalina, which I find super disappointing. However, PD13 was not meant to be compatible with Mojave, either, so I'm curious if this is an effort to get me to fork out another $49.99 or true.

3. CorwinM

CorwinM Bit poster

I have been running PD 13 with Mojave as well with Windows XP and Window 7 Home premium 32 Bit works fine but have been wanting to upgrade to Catalina but worried the one program I use for work won't work. I do not do anything else with my windows program but run the one program. I don't go online or anything. With all the issues everyone is having with PD 15 I don't really want to upgrade either. Anyone using PD 13 with Catalina and running XP and windows 7??????????

4. JohnC24

JohnC24 Bit poster

Which program do you need to run for work?

5. CorwinM

CorwinM Bit poster

It is a program called Winserve I am a directional driller in the oil field. The program only runs on a 32bit OS so that is why I need window XP or Windows 7 32bit.

6. JohnC24

JohnC24 Bit poster

OK. Winserve is being rendered obsolete in favour of HawkEye, which you probably already know. So, the best solution is to ditch WinServe; but, like you, I hate forking if I don't have to. You should be able to install Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop 13 under Catalina. I went ahead and installed Catalina with PD13 running Windows 10, despite being told categorically that PD13 would not work under Catalina. No problem at all, although Windows 10 is slower to fire up than Windows 7 used to be.

So, if I were you, I would first make a Time Machine backup of everything (Mac OS and Windows VM) and check its fidelity. Then, install Catalina over the top of Mojave so that your VM is kept intact. Test Winserve. If all is good, you're cooking. If not, reboot, hit Command (⌘)-R at start up and go through Disk Recovery using your backup. Then you either: 1) live with Mojave; 2) go with an alternative to WinServe; or 3) do as I have done and replace Windows 7 with 10 in your VM and then use an emulator such as WOW64 to run 32-bit WinServe (see, e.g.: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/running-32-bit-applications).

But, I think you'll be fine just installing Catalina over the top of Mojave. Don't hammer me, though, if I am wrong!

7. CorwinM

CorwinM Bit poster

Ya I might try it. I will not be updating to window 10. And running a VM in a VM. We all run a hacked version of winserve and not paying 3500$ a year for Hawkeye either. I might try it here and see how it runs

8. JohnC24

JohnC24 Bit poster

You must work for a stingy mob! I have been a DSV and never had to bring my own software to execute the job.

9. CorwinM

CorwinM Bit poster

In Canada we pretty much all do with being a consultant not a staff hand. We all run hacked versions. If I worked for a company that hired staff hand then they would supply staff computers but they would older Toshiba techra or something like that

10. drkfdr

drkfdr Bit poster

P13 and Catalina works like shit for me. It constantly switches back to my MacOS screen. I can't even use Windows setting manager. It closes on its own.
    I only use Windows like once a year and eating up my disk space, so I guess I should just throw it away?
    Buying the license feels like a waste. It doesn't fit my use-case.

11. CorwinM

CorwinM Bit poster

I did the upgrade and PD13 seems to be working so far. My XP is good and Windows 7 32bit started out glitchy but is better now. I did have 172 windows updates that I installed but it shut down the processor and it then windows automatically reverted back. So with the one program I run it seems to work fine. I just in large the parallels screen though and seems to run better that way then in coherence mode. I have two desktops open and start windows in desktop 2. What windows are you using? If windows 10 then it could just be with window 10 needing more ram and processor

12. drkfdr

drkfdr Bit poster

Thanks for the tip. I guess I didn't try too hard. There were some memory spikes that went above the given memory (I have no clue why I did that). I guess virtual memory is disabled somehow in Windows 10.
    I usually use separate screen too.