Does Aperture run on a Guest VM macOS?????

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Neilwhit, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Has anyone been able to get Apple's Aperture to work on a guest VM of Sierra or High Sierra? It loads thumbnails but will not load/display the full picture in the main preview window. I have rebuilt the index/database, permissions, etc., and even reinstalled Aperture but nothing helps. Trying to find out if this is an issue with graphics within a VM macOS.

Thanks for any help on this!

Parallels 14.0.1

2. tinbert

tinbert Bit poster

Best Answer
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. MikeA11

MikeA11 Bit poster

I have the same problem. It is bizarre. Aperture runs and loads libraries, shows the thumbnails, shows meta data and how about this: it will successfully export the full size picture, but it doesn't display the picture in the viewer. Base computer is Mojave 14.4, (16G memory, 2G graphics). Parallels 14.1.3. VM is Mojave (Parallels is providing 4G memory, 256k graphics, even though I configured 2G). How does Parallels set up graphics?

4. tinbert

tinbert Bit poster

Are there any news on this topic? I ran into the same problem. I've bought Parallels 15 especially for running Aperture and found this annoying problem :(

5. MikeA11

MikeA11 Bit poster

So i opened a support request for this and Parallels responded pretty quickly. After going thru some troubleshooting stuff, the end result was that Apple has not provided APIs to support 2D/3D acceleration, so Parallels cannot "virtualize" the acceleration functionality. Bummer. Much as I struggled with Aperture, I don't see anything in the market that provides the breadth and depth of functionality. I'm going to be using an "old" Mac Mini, running Mojave, and run Aperture on that since Aperture won't run on the new Catalina OS.

6. tinbert

tinbert Bit poster

What a bummer, Apple!
    Thank you for this update, Mike, so I have to live with this restriction :(

7. JimT6

JimT6 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. Host is an iMac 5K running Catalina and Parallels 15.1. Guest is running Mojave and Aperture. (I had hoped this setup would let me get around the loss of 32-bit apps in Catalina.) I can see the thumbnails, but get only gray screen when trying to view the full image. Grrr. Does anybody have a workaround? Does VMware handle Aperture any better?

8. Fastidious

Fastidious Junior Member

I installed Mojave on a Parallels VM before I updated to Catalina. I installed Aperture and have had no problem running Aperture on the VM.

9. DouglasB3

DouglasB3 Bit poster

Could you describe you hardware? Perhaps this has something to do with you being able to run Aperture properly in the VM? I cannot get it to display full size images and I am running:
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
    3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
    40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB​

10. Fastidious

Fastidious Junior Member

Mine is older and less than yours: iMac 5K. Retina, Late 2015, 4 GHz Quad i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD R9, 4 GB.

11. tinbert

tinbert Bit poster

Best Answer
  12. DouglasB3

DouglasB3 Bit poster

Thank you tinbert! I tried Retroactive and it worked well. I've heard of it before but it didn't convert Aperture, so never tried it; this must be an update?. Parallels certainly does NOT work - at least not on all Macs. Nor do they seem interested in listing which models work and which do not.

13. MrDon

MrDon Bit poster

Worked for me today. 2018 mini 8GB 128SSD. I got frustrated trying to get a Lion VM to load Aperture. Thanks tinbert.

14. PaulD20

PaulD20 Bit poster

You saved my life!! I had same issues as all others here. Now my problem is solved. There is no adequate Aperture replacement on the market. I am so grateful!