Trouble with USB "busy signal" using build 3.5160 and OSX 10.4.10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sandman, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello all,

if it's possible, try to perform the workaround that Nahum Sloan suggested. And please, write back whether it worked or not. It would be very useful.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

2. sandman

sandman Bit poster

Thanks for all the "ideas". It's not so much finding a "work around" to get this to work with the Garmin 496, as it is with getting it to work correctly. As many as 6 different databases upgrading on a 28 to 56 day cycle. Then there is Duats that is PC only, hmmm. No doubt the FAA and Aviation industry is still "old school" with PC, but then again, these are my problems now, see the real isue here, now?

As far as Map Source; there is now a Mac Beta that can be used for Map Source (at Garmin). Map source (highway and directions, etc) and aviation datebases are Two diffent animals The main issue here is the .exe only software upgrades for the Aviation databases. Garmin has NO plans to offer these in Mac. PC only.

What about OS Leopard releasing in two days? Boot Camp will be native. How will Parallels update changes? Any time soon?

Thanks anyway; (usb on keyboard) I've been looking for an excuse for a G5.....lol :)

PS; I have 3 USB ports on the mac book pro, none work with this problem, a laptop. Hmmm

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  3. spot the blip

spot the blip Junior Member

Nope, that didn't work. Parallels recognises that the Garmin is there as it asks me whether I want Parallels to automatically connect to the VM. Answer 'yes' and it tries before giving the "in use by another application" message. Try 'no' and you can see the device in the list of devices but when you try to manually connect you get the same response.

PD 3.0 5160
    OSX 10.4.10
    Macbook

4. Nahum Sloan

Nahum Sloan Bit poster

Definative answer

Intel iMac, 10.4.10, latest Garmin update, latest Mapsource update,latest Parallels build, Garmin 276.

Connected via keyboard USB port, start Parallels, start Windows XP, Garmin is recognized, no, "other application", message. Open Mapsource, immediately recognizes 276, am able to upload routes and maps to GPS.

Turn GPS off, connect to USB port at rear, go through same sequence, this time I get the (in)famous, "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application...".

I certainly have no explanation but I have gone through this 3 or 4 times and it works. I Presume I will not be charged for my open incident and my invoice will follow.

5. spot the blip

Tried that one with seemingly exactly the same software configuraion (except I'm using a Garmin 296) on both a Macbook and iMac. Still get the same problem.

6. Nahum Sloan

Nahum Sloan Bit poster

Explanations of and a resolution for this phenomenon are clearly in the lap of Parallels.(Any ideas folks?) I just tried again a day later (enough time for the spell to have worn off) and it still works. Keyboard serial port and the most recent (Sept. 27) Mapquest update. On another topic, I wonder what will happen if I upgrade to 10.5? Maybe I should press my luck.

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

sandman, hello,
    both 2.5 and 3.0 versions will officially support Leopard once it is released.
    We will wait for the final Leopard release which should be available on today both for us and our customers. We expect that 2.5 & 3.0 will work on it in general but will probably have a number of issues. Then we will fix issues and release updates in few weeks depend of the issues found.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

8. sandman

sandman Bit poster

Thank you for the heads up with Leopard, good luck.

9. spot the blip

.... and, despite the comments above, it would appear that Ver 3.0 (5540) Beta hasn't addressed this problem. That is unless the fix has been included but just left off the list of changes.

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

spot the blip, you are right, the issue is not fixed in the beta version. However our developers are working to fix it. Please sorry the improvement process is not so fast.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. fwong

fwong Member

TomTom 720 GPS doesn't work either in PD

Here is a "Me Too" posting. I am having a problem similar to what sandman experienced with his Garmin GPS:

My TomTom 720 GPS works fine if connected to a native-boot of Windows Vista. But I'm unable to use it when booting via OS X and using PD (MBP 17", PD Build 5160, Mac OS X v10.4.11, Vista). The following error is displayed when the TomTom is connected to PD:

"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again."

Any updates to this problem?