Parallels 15 on Catalina, hosting Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by prenez, Oct 9, 2019.

1. prenez

prenez Member

I'm running Parallels 15 on Catalina. Runs Windows and Ubuntu great, and the screen resolution matches the monitor, but the MacOS Mojave VM is at 1024x768 and nothing will change its mind, including running Parallels Tools. I'm stuck. Makes it kind of useless for the work I'm doing.

Yes, I went in to the Control Center config on the VM and tried different graphics options, like Retina. Made no difference.

2. prenez

prenez Member

Also, the Mojave VM is really sluggish compared to the other two OS. I'm running on a Macbook Pro 2017 i7 3.5ghz with 16gb. Compared to the Windows and Ubuntu VMs it 'feels' wrong. Anyone else going through this?

3. prenez

prenez Member

Just wanted to add, running the VMs on superfast external Angelbird SSD. Wish we could edit our messages once they're posted :)

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

How much memory is assigned to the VM graphics?.
    It defaults to only 64Mb when you create the VM. Though this really should be enough, try increasing it to 256Mb (with the VM stopped), and then see if it has improved.
    You can also check how many processor cores and how much RAM the VM has.
    Then also try switching the memory 'advanced settings', to use the Apple hypervisor rather than the Parallels one.
    It's annoying, but the Parallels hypervisor, seems to have been having issues for ages, which degrade the VM performance a lot...

5. BillW7

BillW7 Bit poster

When trying to Migrate Mojave from Time Machine (about 70 GB of Mojave) I get an out of disk space error. No matter how large I reset the disk for, I still get the error. If I unclick one of the choices for TM migrating (for example applications at 32GB) it loads perfectly. I have used Configuration for the guest Mojave and reset the disk space to 256 GB and checked the expanding disk. Once I reset it to 1 TB and got the same out of disk space error.
    Anyone had a similar experience?

6. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

You have got Parallels tools installed?. You have to have this in before trying to do the migration. The virtual disk expansion does not work until tools is installed.

7. HeinB

HeinB Junior Member

My Mojave guest OS works fine in Catalina, I only have a sound issue with it.
    I created a fresh Mojave installation in Parallels 15 and with the Parallels Tools installed I can scale the window to any size (and in retina resolution). I also run Parallels on a 2017 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. When I use Adobe CS6 Photoshop and Illustrator they run almost as fast as they did on the host OS.

8. BillW7

BillW7 Bit poster

I reinstalled the Tools per RogerH6 (reboot and all) and the Mojave guest install in Catalina still will not expand over 64 GB. I'm using 57 GB. My test is to copy a large file (about 25GB) into Mojave which would push the total disk space need to over 64GB. I still get the not enough disk space error when doing that. I've set the disk size to 256 GB.
    The Mojave works fine as long as I don't exceed 64 GB. What I want to do is migrate my user data from a Time machine backup and that's about 25 GB. That's why I chose a similarly sized file to copy for testing.
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    Thank

9. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Are you sure you have updated Parallels to 15.1.0?. I had this when I first tried to install, but this was the first release of Parallels 15. It was fixed when I upgraded to 15.1

10. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I have exactly the same problem.

11. WarrenH3

WarrenH3 Bit poster

see my new thread for the answer. Figured it out no thanks to parallels support

12. prenez

prenez Member

Problem No 1.
    I was able to get resolution to work, I had to figure out the step of installing the Tools INSIDE the VM.
    That works great, running a Catalina VM on a Catalina host.
    It is not so great running a MojaveVM on a Catalina host. The *resolution* is correct, but the size of the monitor is not. While Catalina VM is smart about the aspect ratio of the monitor it's running on, and size the window correctly, Mojave is stupid and I always get black bars on either side, or top and bottom.

Problem No. 2.

The keyboard mapping is wrong on the new 16 inch macbook pro. When I want to type an @ with shift-2, for example, I get a " instead. Several other keys are similarly mis-mapped.

The mapping is correct for the same VMs (I have them on an external drive) running on both a 2015 macbook pro and a 2017 macbook pro.

NOTE this is only a problem with MacOS VMs. The mapping is correct on my Windows VM and Ubuntu VM.

===
    Thank you. I look forward to fixes for both these problems.

13. prenez

prenez Member

Problem No 3.

When I created the Catalina VM, an .hdd virtual drive was created along with it. I moved both into a subfolder to keep them isolated. The .hdd worked a couple of times, but now whenever I run the Catalina VM I'm told the .hdd is no longer valid.
    1. Why did this happen?
    2. Can I create another one?
    3. How do I create another one?
    4. Should the Mojave VM have an .hdd too? If so, why wasn't it created automatically.

14. NagayoshiO

NagayoshiO Bit poster

I am running guest OS High Sierra on my host OS Catalina. I installed illustrator CS6 on the guest OS. The installation itself seems to be done without any problem, but when I launch Illustrator, it just crashes almost right after I see Illustrator Logo shown on the screen. Is there anybody who could help to fix the problem? Illustrator shows a long error message, so I also attach a file showing the error message. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attached Files:

15. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Which version of illustrator?.
    Try deleting the Adobe .plists in Library/Preferences.
    Then try with the internet disabled.
    Try loading with Option+Command+Shift held (forces default settings, and rebuilds these).
    Try deleting the preferences ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator xx Settings.
    The plists or settings having a fault are common things that cause Adobe crashes.

Was it a clean install, or a 'restore' possibly from Time Machine. If the latter, you need to do a clean install.

16. NagayoshiO

NagayoshiO Bit poster

Illustrator CS (16.0.0). This is a clean install from its official installer.
    will try what you have suggested.

17. NagayoshiO

NagayoshiO Bit poster

I tried what was suggested with no luck.
    There are 4 Adobe*.plist under Library/Prefernces
    com.adobe.acrobat.2017.WebResource.plist
    com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist
    com.adobe.PDFAdminSettings.plist
    com.adobe.reader.DC.WebResource.plist

Probably nothing related to illustrator
    There is no Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings under ~/Library?preferences

18. nosodualie

nosodualie Member

FIXED!
    Thanks to "prenez" above for the solution, which was to copy the "prl-tools-mac.iso" (Applications>Parallels Desktop>Show Package Contents>Resources>Tools>prl-tools-mac.iso) to the Catalina VM (I had to log onto my Mac over the network), then install it. After a reboot it now has multiple resolutions available.
    Parallels totally dropped the ball on this one. Their support people appear to have no idea this is even an issue.