Never update Parallels and a kernel on the same day...

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

And, as I found out this morning, after updating to kernel 5.3.7: DONT delete the temp directory after you're done. For some reason the build doesn't get stashed in DKMS anymore, so every time you update a kernel, you have reboot into the kernel, Ctrl-Opt-F2 into a new screen, and run the installer manually again.

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

So, I went back in, removed the edits on those four lines and made the change to the script instead, forcing the define to 0. That's a much cleaner way to do it, personally.

3. EdwardG3

EdwardG3 Bit poster

That seems to have done the trick for me. Many Thanks.

4. PatrickJ4

PatrickJ4 Bit poster

Worked for me too! I was struggling a lot with this issue.. I really have to consider if Parallels is worth buying. Works so smoothly but not being able to install the tools makes a bad impression. Thanks a lot for these detailed instructions!

5. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Staff Member

Hello Everyone,

Parallels released an update for Parallels Desktop 15 which resolves the issue discussed here. Download it and update Parallels Tools afterwards to resolve the issue.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Yup. Version 15.1.1 (47117) works ok.

mustafay1 and IvanD@Parallels like this.
  7. mustafay1

mustafay1 Junior Member

also my problem was fixed with the update

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Except, I'm still finding that Parallels Tools is either not rebuilding or installing correctly when a new kernel is installed. I have to do it manually after a new kernel install then rebooting. The reboot sequence never gets to the graphical login screen.