Trouble resizing vm hard drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ray Dosh, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

Windows 10 vm, MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6 Mojave. VM's hard drive space had been set to 90GB. Trying to install SolidWorks but don't have enough space. I'm constantly getting corrupted files; I suspect because I'm running out of space. Resized drive space to 150GB and, as far as Parallels configuration is concerned, I accomplished that. But, in Windows explorer, C drive properties shows 89GB. Okay, I figured that I had to force the issue and I unchecked "Expanding Disk." Restarted the vm but it's still the same. How do I create more space for my 9.9GB download?

2. Raymond@Parallels

Raymond@Parallels Parallels Support

3. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

I had found that article previously but missed the later section about what to do if the size of the C: drive hasn't changed. However, when I right click the main partition, Extend Volume is grayed out.

4. Raymond@Parallels

Could you please share a screenshot with Disk Management here? By description it looks like there is another partition between disk C: and unallocated space (it is covered in another article https://kb.parallels.com/123372 ) but a picture of the issue would clarify the case.

5. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

I noticed that that main partition was not active. There is a 100MB partition marked "System Reserved" that is active. I have a screenshot of the Disk Management window but I'm not sure how to insert it here.

6. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

There is an 825MB partition in between disk C: and the unallocated space. It is the recovery partition.

7. Raymond@Parallels

Thanks for clarifying - then please follow https://kb.parallels.com/123372
    It describes how to remove the partition between disk C: and unallocated space with Command Prompt so you can expand your drive.

8. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

Thanks! That did the trick!