License covers portable and desktop?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by netdog, May 18, 2006.

1. netdog

netdog Hunter

Hi,

Obviously I won't run my portable and desktop at the same time. Does the Parallels license allow me to install it on both machines?

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Well, I'm using the same license on both my laptop and desktop. I don't know if that's officially permitted under whatever license Parallels has planned for the final release, but I hope so. :)

3. mcg

mcg Hunter

Uh, wow, $40 per seat isn't cheap enough for you? Parallels is a steal.

4. bcjenkins

bcjenkins Member

I agree, pony up and pay the extra 40. You need 2 copies of XP as well, if that's your poison.

5. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Well, I agree that it's a bargain. But $40 is still less than $80. If I have to buy two licenses, I probably would try to, but I'd have a fight on my hands with my wife. :)

6. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

Official answer

This has been asked again in the General Questions forum.

In this thread Ben from Parallels clearly states that you will need two licenses (not surprising, if you ask me...)

/D

7. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Junior Member

Not at all suprising. Almost all software publishers have abandoned single user licensing models in favor of single computer licensing. I find zero irony in the fact that this changed gradually as multiple computers per user gradually became more common.

8. wesley

wesley Pro

Some server software have taken the idea further and goes for per-core licensing, which became an icky issue as we now move to multiple-cored CPUs.