Windows VM apps can't open OSX 10.15.1 Mail attachments

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Stephen Van Dellen, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Stephen Van Dellen

Stephen Van Dellen Member

If a right-click an attachment in OSX 10.15.1 Mail and select a Windows app, Windows displays an error box that:
    \\Mac\Home\Library\Containers\com.apple.mail\Data\Library\Mail\Downloads\...(long identifier)..\Attachment file_name
    You do not have permission to open this file. See yada, yada, yada​
    I get the same message for DOCX (Microsoft Word) and TXT attachments so I think it's probably true that no Windows VM
    app can open any OSX Mail attachment. I just finished a Chat session with Parallels support. The tech agreed that it sounds like
    a Parallels/OSX Catalina problem. They're going to look into it and, I assume, add it to the https://kb.parallels.com/en/124705 article
    but I thought other users might like a heads up sooner.

A workaround is to Save the attachment from Mail to the Desktop or wherever else you like and then Open it.

RyanO5 likes this.
  2. Stephen Van Dellen

Stephen Van Dellen Member

This explanation how to fix the problem from Parallels Support worked:
    "Please go to Apple system preferences - privacy and security and enable full disk access for Parallels Desktop After enabling try to open Mac Mail attachments and check."​

RyanO5 likes this.
  3. GilR

GilR Bit poster

Thanks very much! Although your solution has been up for a while, it definitely helped me today!

4. RyanO5

RyanO5 Bit poster

Ah this was so frustrating! Thanks for the solution!

5. Yousef

Yousef Bit poster

created an account just to say thank you ! this saved me heaps of time!!