Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

I have noticed a way to recover from this issue within 30 minutes or so. Here are my steps: [...]

• Let it sit for a few seconds, then turn it on.
      • Start up computer. Let it startup for a few minutes. It will probably still be sluggish.
      • Shut down the computer again.
      • Then start it up again.

Thanks to the poster for taking the time to outline what worked for them. But this is just ridiculous. For those of you who just want to get your job done, I recommend cutting your losses. A month ago I downloaded VMWare Fusion (there is a 30 day free trial). It's been working flawlessly. I have my productivity back. I'm never going back to Parallels.

2. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

^^ This.

Zerkalo likes this.
  3. rippon

rippon Junior Member

Based on someone's mention of too many CPU cores, I tried dropping my Win 10 VM from 4 cores to 3 cores a few days ago. This morning when I booted up my MacBook didn't come back from sleep and eventually timed out and crashed. So I rebooted and didn't let macOS restart applications that had previously been running. I figured Parallels would ruin my morning, so I went about my work for a few hours in Xcode first before finally needing to compile my project for Windows. Fear gripped me as I started up Parallels, but it got past "Starting..." and then went to checking disks after improper shutdown and... 10 seconds later it was fine and started booting Windows. YMMV, but based on the weird cyclic stalling of the machine I've been experiencing, I think something is very wrong with Parallels' handling of the disk checking task when all cores are accessible to the VM. If I had to guess, it's probably spending almost all of its time context switching, which would make some sense given that it's clearly pegging the CPU but Activity Monitor shows little CPU usage. It seems like just giving up even one may be enough to alleviate the problem, at least in this one instance on this one machine so far.

4. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Staff Member

Hello Everyone,

The issue discussed here has been fixed in the released update for Parallels Desktop 15. Download it and check the results.

5. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

I certainly hope so, but, any ideas how to deploy this update to 200+ busy lab machines without having to visit each and every one??

6. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Staff Member

Using any deployment solution available to mass deploy Parallels Desktop.

7. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

Don't have one

8. markw25

markw25 Bit poster

That was the worst part about reading this thread starting from the Jul 21st post, the moment I realized I was going to end up reading posts from today that it still wasn't fixed.

9. rippon

rippon Junior Member

Between dropping my VM to three cores and updating to 15.1.1, this issue seems to be fixed for me.

10. rippon

rippon Junior Member

I take it back, just had a hard crash again and Parallels is sitting on "Starting..." forever again.

11. rippon

rippon Junior Member

It seems like it's as bad as ever. The first boot after crashing it sat forever on "Starting...". I didn't have time to let it sit for a couple hours to see if it recovered, so I powered off my Mac and booted it up again and did other stuff for the day. Then I restarted it again and started Parallels again. It got past "Starting..." immediately, but as soon as I went to start Windows 10 it just sat there on the Control Center panel and started making the rest of my machine beachball intermittently. It doesn't seem like the beachballing is as bad as before, but it's still pretty bad. I'm going to leave my VM booting overnight to see if it starts up eventually. I'm lucky to have an actual PC here that I can work on, otherwise I would be as cranky as the rest of the forum - but I'm not that mad so please let me know if there's any further diagnostics I can run to help figure out what is causing this. This definitely seems to be something related to recovery from crashes - I would love a way to just tell it not to bother. I don't particularly care about the integrity of my Windows VM, as I rebuild it every couple months when new platform SDKs come out anyway. I don't care if it crashes, I just don't want the crash to _persist_ like this.

12. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

Ya, and look how much a joke the response is now. "An update should be downloaded" .. and its buried in this thread like nothing happened.

I've lost thousands because of Parallels now, I don't get even as much as an Apology. Maybe if there is enough of us, it could be lawyer time.

13. Zerkalo

Zerkalo Junior Member

"It doesn't seem like the beachballing is as bad as before, but it's still pretty bad"

As I mentioned above, I'm on VMWare now - and a happy, productive camper I am - but can't help checking in on this this whole farce, occasionally. I'm happy for you to hear that the "beachballing is not as bad a before" now. Atta boys!

14. rippon

rippon Junior Member

You know, I do systems engineering for a living and it's not easy. I have been on the receiving end of angry forum posts plenty of times. I've got a PC next to my Mac and a VMWare setup too, but I'm more interested in trying to help figure out what's wrong rather than just get mad about it.

15. darwin@perkinsfam.us

darwin@perkinsfam.us Bit poster

I've got the same problem too. I submitted a report, don't know the number...
    I'm trying to install a new VM to replace the non-functioning one. No joy even the windows installer hangs up with the spinning "windows thinking" circle.
    SO, there is definitely something wrong. I suspect it's the boot record for Parallels.
    BTW, this is my work machine, it is my life. This has to be fixed RSN (real soon now).
    I can only run on the mac for so long without access to the PC.
    Darwin

MargaretD1 likes this.
  16. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

What do you think we're all doing here on VM's? Playing games? I'm willing to bet at least half of us are system eng's that are programming in windows dev on their macs.

I'm not sure where you work, but we are not beta testing a product here. We are paying clients.

It's not easy? Ya, I'm aware. Bugs happen? Yup. But this is a major thing that has been happening since July. This software should have never been released and even if it slipped by, the entire priority should have been focused on this instead of the bullshit that has been released between July and Today.

No one cares about AutoSPRINK 2018 not working, or Rhino 6 crashing after switching between points of view - when you can't even log into the system and it completely crashes your MAC to the point where it heats up so much the battery drains in 9 minutes.

There is no excuse for this and no excuse for the poor response.

HenrikB1 and MargaretD1 like this.
  17. rippon

rippon Junior Member

Suit yourself, I will try to continue to post constructively.

18. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

This patch definitely does not fix the problem.

19. DaveM11

DaveM11 Bit poster

I have the same issue. I went through every step on this post but nothing worked. I tried uninstalling parallels and installing the newest version which allowed windows to boot up but after using it for an hour and a half it crashed again and is giving the same issue. The patch did not fix the issue.

20. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

Oddly, my issue has gotten better. I had issues for 24-36 hours after the patch, but things got better (knocking on wood). I had to restart my machine a good 10-15x in the 24 hours after the patch but my laptop is finally seemingly back to life. I can't explain why it too so long for the update to "take".