Ubuntu 16.02 hangs at /dev/sda1 clean...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CalebB1, Oct 22, 2019.

1. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

This is a bit involved, but here is the best attempt at a summary.

I was working with a network simulator on an Ubuntu 16.04 Parallels instance. I accidentally affected permissions on the root folder. After this occured I was unable to do anything on the machine, even "cd" or "ls". I attempted a "reset" of the virtual machine. Now I am unable to boot. When I attempt to boot, I receive a graphics error, which I try to go around by booting to a login prompt, but this only hangs on "/dev/sda1 clean, XXXXX/XXXXXXX files, XXXXXX/XXXXXX blocks" (see screenshots).

I am unable to figure out how to boot this vm into safe mode from Parallels. It also appears the Parallels Mounter is no longer available?

I really just want to get the data at this point. I am fine with grabbing it and then putting it on a new vm, but I am unable to figure out how to do that with my .pvm file.

Attached Files:

2. Hi, could you collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

3. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

4. mmika

mmika Pro

The most easiest way would be to install another Ubuntu VM.
    After new VM installation and setup complete, just to its configuration virtual HDD image from the first one.
    When you boot new VM you will be able to mount /home/user from the old VM wherever you want.

LuizM1 likes this.
  5. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

I tried that and all I can see is the directory structure as binary files. When I attempt to enter that disk, I receive an error that I "Don't have permission to access this file". I am also unable to change permissions on it.

6. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

I can't even get to the grub menu--pressing escape on boot-up does not do anything. Is there a way to force this in parallels?

7. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

I was able to access the old drive via the above method. Is there a way (other than simply cp'ing the entire directory structure to the new vm directory structure) to clone that into a new vm?

8. mmika

mmika Pro

I guess to boot from Ubuntu installation CD or any other Linux Live CD...
    You even do not need to setup/repair old Ubuntu installed

9. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

So, I boot from an installation cd and point it to that hard drive?

10. mmika

mmika Pro

Yes, after you boot from installation cd you can mount /dev/sdaX to /mnt
    Moreover I believe you can do this from original state provided in screenshots,
    just switch to another terminal by pressing/sending to VM ctrl+alt+F2 keys.

11. CalebB1

CalebB1 Bit poster

Got it working. The original hard drive was able to be booted in the new VM as the first boot drive.

12. LuizM1

LuizM1 Bit poster

what our friend said is correct, I will go for this and I think it would be the easiest and most effective

13. LuizM1

LuizM1 Bit poster

I can't edit my post? LOL, anyway ... friend of a return on your problem?