Upgrade from 4560 to 5160 killed BootCamp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fwong, Oct 2, 2007.

1. fwong

fwong Member

I have a MBP17" - and have been running Parallels and BootCamp since June without any problems.

Recently - I upgraded from Parallels 4560 to 5160 - and since then I can no longer Boot in pure BootCamp. If I start-up with the option-key, choose my Windows partition - the OS begins loading, but before I see a login-screen, there is a brief flash of a blue-screen and then the machine restarts again. The blue-screen is so fast - I can't read anything.

PD using the same BootCamp partition runs great - and performance has improved over 4560.

Any others having this issue since upgrading?

2. me3design

me3design Bit poster

Bootcamp is dead!!!

Not really...but I too am having the same problem as described by fwong. I have a MBP15" SRC2D with 4GB RAM. I just upgraded to the latest Parallels build 5160 and got my Windows Vista bootcamp partition set up and running smoothly via Parallels. Now when I try to boot via bootcamp I get the blue screen crash restart cycle that unless stopped seems like it would continue forever. A serious bummer.

Fwong you are not alone. I feel your pain. I hope a Parallels administrator sees this thread and offers up a fix. I may opt to uninstall the Parallels Tools via a Parallels start and see if that will allow a pure boot to occur.

Grrrh Arrrgh!

3. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

fwong, please, check your PM.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

4. fwong

fwong Member

booting must be successful!

>> fwong, please, check your PM.

PM = Product Manual?

Here's what the product manual says:

"
    To troubleshoot a problem:
    1 Restart your Macintosh computer and boot into Mac OS X.
    2 Start Parallels Desktop. Start the virtual machine which uses Boot Camp Windows
    installation as a bootable disk.
    3 Wait while the guest OS is fully loaded and running. Shut it down.
    4 Restart your Macintosh computer.
    5 Try to boot via Boot Camp again. This time, booting must be successful.
    "

Well - even though the PM says "booting must be successful". It's not. Any other suggestions?

You had an earlier post which seems to be gone about clearing Parallels in the advanced hard-disk tab -- is that worth trying or will it create more problems than its worth?>

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

PM = Private Messages
    It is forum 'lingo'.

You will find them near the upper right hand corner of your screen.

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Eru Ithildur, thanks for support :)

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No problem.

8. fwong

fwong Member

So I followed the suggestion in the PM and uninstalled Parallels Tools - and restarted. Same problem -- Vista under Parallels continues to run fine. Vista under Boot Camp blue-screens during start-up.

I found a thread regarding hardware profiles as one way of fixing somebody else having blue-screens on start-up...unfortunately, custom hardware profiles are not supported in Vista (they were in XP).

Any other ideas?

9. tlyall

tlyall Bit poster

Hi,
    I had exactly the same problem and had to downgrade Parallels to 4560.

Uninstalling the tools seemed to help but I ended up reinstalling Vista (I was not a happy bunny) in order to have something working.

I also tried this on a virgin installation of Vista and got exactly the same results - BSOD.

I hope Parallels are looking into this because until it is resolved I'll be sticking to 4560.

BTW: I have a Mac Pro, 4GB.

/Trev

10. fwong

fwong Member

>>Uninstalling the tools seemed to help but I ended up reinstalling Vista (I was not a happy bunny) in order to have something working.

Did you reinstall Vista on top of the existing Boot Camp partition copy of Vista? or did you blow away the existing partition, and re-install via Boot Camp assistant?

11. Ansel

Ansel Junior Member

and also , WHY , did you have to reinstall ?
    what happened that mad you do that ?

12. fwong

fwong Member

read this posting from top to bottom...

>>and also , WHY , did you have to reinstall ?
    >>what happened that mad you do that ?

Read my first post at the top of this thread - he was having the same problem that I was

13. Ansel

Ansel Junior Member

i know he had the same problem, but once he did the change, why did he have to reinstall windows ?
    or did he just do it by choice ?

14. tlyall

tlyall Bit poster

Well I ended up re-installing Vista because even after uninstalling the Parallels Tools there was a lot of "wierdness" (random hangs, VGA video etc) with the Apple Boot Camp drivers.

I couldn't be bothered trying to sort it all out and decided the easiest thing was simply to reinstall.

To answer another question, I wiped the partition (in fact I installed it on a completely different disk).

4560 seems to work fine for me, I'm sure there are good reasons to upgrade but until I know it will work without destroying my native installation I will wait.

/Trev

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

fwong, please, check your PM.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

16. Polvo

Polvo Bit poster

Same problem here

Same problem here, I also tried dumping my current bootcamp installation and doing a new one, new partition and everything. Reinstalled and still get the same problems for windows xp...

Any ideas as how to sort this out?

What will happen with Leopard once it comes out on friday?

THX

17. fwong

fwong Member

Re-format and re-install everything

Despite many hours of effort - I could not make Vista boot via Boot Camp....

So...I decided to wipe out my screwed-up Vista partition and reloaded everything from scratch while taking backups every step of the way. I may regret this, but I'm trying 5160 again...

18. Ansel

Ansel Junior Member

please give us an update on how it went, and if you think it is worth the efforts.

thanks

19. Polvo

Polvo Bit poster

isnt something we can do?

Parallels people dont know what to do?

I think this issue is not that simple.. sounds like a major bug, any ideas on a patch or something??

THX

20. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

fwong, have you already reinstalled Vista? Does the issue still occur?

For those who have the same problem. Please, could you tell me, how many hard drives does your Mac have, and try to describe your BSOD - can you catch anything from it? Any error name? Are there many lines on the screen? It would be very useful for our developers and testers.

Best regards,
    Alicia.