Scrolling in java applications on 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by larsgraulund, Sep 20, 2007.

1. larsgraulund

larsgraulund Bit poster

Saw the thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=15604

I wonder if this is related to the problems we have.

We develop a java based client, and we have versions running on java 1.3, 1.4.2 and 1.5

On all of these different versions we see a problem when using scrollbars in our java application. The scrolled area is garbled up and looks very weird.

2. ronflax

ronflax Bit poster

having the same problem

I'm having the same exact problem. I have a java app that requires 1.4.2_13 and scrolling looks horrible. The window is drawn as complete garbage, totally unreadable. Also, my java app seems to run much slower than it did in previous versions of Parallels.

I've tried running with DirectX 8.1 both enabled and disabled, makes no difference.

3. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

Same problems here using eclipse (v3.2) and JRE 1.4.2_05. Scrolling causes text and images to be completely garbled. Enabling DirectX support makes no difference.

Ronflax - I have not noticed any performance differences with build 5160 in regards to java apps - but the garbled scroll panes are really bad. I have been forced to move to Fusion until this issue is resolved.

Is this bug being addressed? Has it been replicated by the dev team? Mod's?

4. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone found a fix?

5. hiaw

hiaw Bit poster

Yeah. I have the same problem as well. But I remember when I first use this update for Parallels, java was behaving properly. It's after 1-2 weeks after that the scrolling issue started. It's plenty annoying. I use Netbeans to write java application, and can only scroll down for my code. Scrolling will mess up the display.

6. hiaw

hiaw Bit poster

Use Coherence

Hi,

I found out why java didn't have scrolling problems for me initially. I was using Coherence mode. Now I switch from full screen to coherence again, the scrolling problem is gone. Cheers

7. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

Hey hiaw - thanks for the reply.

I tried switching between modes (full, single window and coherence) and it made no difference at all - the scrolling is still bad.

What JRE are you using for Netbeans? Is it all windows in the tool that you scroll in?

8. hiaw

hiaw Bit poster

i find that if you switch view *after* you have your java app fully open, then it works.

9. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

I did try that actually (swapping between views after opening the app). I think the issue might be related to the use of a specific AWT or SWING scroll box in the eclipse application I am using. It does not occur in ALL the scroll pane's - only one of them.

Unfortunately I have had to revert back to Parallels 2.5 as it was stopping me doing my work!!

Shame. I hope this is fixed in the next release. Upgrading to 3.0 and then reverting back if its not is no small thing though - takes a bit of time (backing up the virtual machine *just in case* etc).

:(

10. hiaw

hiaw Bit poster

Yeah. Java app in Parallels is actually quite sluggish. I was profiling a software in Parallel and it's many times slower than running on VMWare. I'm switching over to VMWare until Parallels works out their kinks.

11. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

hiaw - during your profiling, what sort of speed differences were you seeing between Parallels and VMWare for java apps? i.e. VMWare was 50% faster?

12. hiaw

hiaw Bit poster

I would say about 2-3 times faster in VMWare. You should try it, they offer free Beta version for 30 days.

13. cwacked

cwacked Bit poster

having the same scrolling problem using 5160, but switcing between coherence and full screen after the Java app is open doesn't correct the problem.

Is the Parallels team working on this issue?

If not, I'll reluctantly have to backout Parallels 3.0...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  14. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

cwacked ....I had to go back to v2.5 - no response from the admin/dev team on this - am assuming its not being looked at :(

15. Bob Garrido

Bob Garrido Bit poster

Here is a band aid solution

I used 5160 version of Parallels and have the same problem of getting corrupt screen outputs when scrolling upwards with a java based GUI application. While waiting for an update from Parallels and if you don't want to disable your DirectX, just do a roll back on the video driver from 5160 to 4560. Right click on your desktop and select properties and then select advance tab and then Adapter tab and select driver and choose rollback. What this will do is uninstall the 5160 driver and replace it with a 4560 version of the driver (previous version). This should take care of the problem until the next update. Parallels 4560 does not have this problem.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  16. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

Bob - that works a charm (I upgraded to 3.0 again and rolled back the driver).

Thanks for that - I just hope the next release has the fix!

17. cwacked

cwacked Bit poster

When press "Roll Back Driver", I get this msg: "No driver files have been backed up for this device".

The Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Video\PrlVideo.inf file contains this line:
    DriverVer = 09/10/2007, 3.0.5160.

I couldn't find anything that contained "4560".

Does anyone know how to install the 4560 driver?

thanks!

18. airmunch

airmunch Bit poster

Did you upgrade to 3.0 from 2.5? If so the rollback should have found the previous driver installed by Parallels Tools... if you didnt upgrade (created a VM fresh from 3.0) then the previous driver would not exist - hence no roll-back.

I am not sure how you could extract and/or install the 4560 driver from the parallels tools - anyone help cwacked with this?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Parallels are aware of the difficulties with old java versions. You are expected to solve your problem by updating java.
    larsgraulund, we are sorry this decision is not suitable for you. Our developers will take this demand into account while working on future updates.
    Thanks everybody for your reports.

Best regards,
    Xenos

20. cwacked

cwacked Bit poster

Hi Xenos,

In the other forum posts I don't see any mention of old Java versions. Are you sure that you're responding to the right thread?

I'm using JRE 1.6.0_03, the most current, and am still getting garbage when I scroll upwards. The window is not repainting automatically.