Kinect for Windows and Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by George26, Feb 10, 2012.

1. George26

George26 Bit poster

Unfortunately, Kinect for Windows does not work under the latest version of Parallels and Windows 7. Everything installs flawlessly and the Windows Device Manager shows that all three Kinect components are functioning properly, BUT when one attempts to run the Kinect Explorer in the Kinect SDK Sample Browser, one gets the message "Please insert a Kinect for Windows Sensor into your PC". The same is true for for all other sample programs.

The Parallels Devices menu shows that the Microsoft Kinect Camera and Audio are attached to Parallels, but somewhere the software isn't connecting.

2. MathieuxB

MathieuxB Bit poster

I do have the exact same situation with Parallels 8 and Windows 8. This is really bad since I need to develop a Kinect application....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  3. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Please, enable verbose logging in PD (Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Advanced->Use detailed log messages).
    Then connect your usb device to vm, reproduce bug, create and send problem report (Help->Report a Problem).
    Post report id here.

4. UfukC

UfukC Junior Member

have you solved problem? i have windows 7, parallels 8. i can see kinect devices on device manager. kinect sdk 1.6 applications cannot recognize my kinect.

5. JessicaG

JessicaG Bit poster

For me it says Problem ID 471.

6. markom

markom Bit poster

Hi!

I also cannot work with Kinect on Parallels 7 running Windows 7 64bit.
    The kinect has installed correctly, but I cannot load anz microsoft samples from the DEveloper toolkit browser.

I get error messages: "No readz Kinect found" or something like this.

Did you fidn a way how to work with Kinect on Paralels?

Thanks!

7. wardrip

wardrip Bit poster

I am running Parallels 8 Build 8.0.18354, OS X 10.8.3, Windows 8 with Kinect SDK 1.7. I am using my bootcamp partition as the VM. I have installed the new bootcamp Widows support software for Windows 8 that came with the OS X 10.8.3 update. I am having the same issues as everyone above, the device shows up in Device Manager just fine. the Kinect will work if i boot into my bootcamp partition natively. I filed a report and the report ID is 23292252

8. DarrellB1

DarrellB1 Bit poster

My first attempt at trying to get the Kinect v1 to work on Yosemite version 10.10.2 through Parallels (Windows 8.1) was a fail. I installed Windows 8.1 on Parallels and installed all updates to this date. I then installed the Kinect v1.8 SDK and the developer toolkit v1.8. After that I made sure to restart windows and then connect the Kinect. The device manager shows the Kinect for windows drivers (Camera, Audio array control, Device, Security control). However, when I try to run any application that requires it, it says that the Kinect is not connected. There is no bug report for me to send on to you guys. Please help me!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  9. TimothyS3

TimothyS3 Bit poster

Hi all i am trying to run Kinect V1 or V2 on Parallels 11(Windows 10 Build 10586) using a machine on OS X El Capitan V10.11.3 and also have an indication that windows detected the Kinect V2. After which when i launch my Kinect software and it could not detect the sensor. Any luck on getting the Kinect to work on the VM?

10. SajithL

SajithL Bit poster

Same issue here. I think the problem is Parallels 11 used directx 10.1 version. But Kinect V2 is required 11.0 or more. I think Parallels should give a good solutions for us

11. digidol

digidol Bit poster

I am using Kinect for Xbox One. Windows 10 on Parallels 11.1.3. I have the Kinect Developer Toolkit and Kinect SDK (both v 1.8) installed.

When I plug in the Kinect, there is an indication that the Kinect is connected, but the Kinect code examples in the Developer Toolkit Browser say that no Kinect is available.

Checking the version of Direct X, it is 11.

Microsoft's advice for working with Parallels is: "In VMWare and Parallels, you must make sure the Kinect for Windows Camera and the Kinect for Windows Audio are both checked for use in the Virtual Machine device options." (source https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj663795.aspx).

Where should I see the "Kinect for Windows Camera" and the "Kinect for Windows Audio" options? I have looked under the different options windows. Any suggestions where I might find these options?

12. YSG

YSG Member

Hello,

I have the same problem. I'm on Catalina with PD15. Normally DirectX11 should work. However, my Kinect2 does not work with PD15, I have to go through Bootcamp.
    Could you advise me on how to make this Kinect2 work with PD15. Thank you.

13. YSG

YSG Member

For more precision, USB Controller gives as result:
    "Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unkonwn bandwidth. Kinect may or may not be compatible with your hardware."
    With Bootcamp I dont't have this message but : "Unknown USB 3.0 port detected. Your USB configuration may support Kinect for Windows". And then Kinect 2 work with Bootcamp but not with PD15.
    Any help... Thank you.