1. BruceU

BruceU Bit poster

Installed Parallels 15 on new MAC but won't start. System msg "This virtual machine has one or more hard disks with 4KB logical sectors" To start such a virtual machine, go to the virtual machine configuration, hardware, boot order and select Use EFI Boot. Followed the instructions but my configuration panel does not have this option? Can someone explain to me want the issue is and how to solve it, plse?

2. mmika

mmika Pro

At VM configuration menu choose "Boot Order" element and in a drop-down field "Advanced Settings" add a string "vm.bios.efi=64"

3. BruceU

BruceU Bit poster

Your solution resulted in another error msg as attached. Have verified that windows 10 is in boot camp and functioning, via the Opt restart function. What is causing this issue?

Attached Files:

4. mmika

mmika Pro

1. There is no EFI system partition with FAT on a virtual disk
    2. There is no EFI loader file called EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi

Try to locate it manually selecting "Boot Maintenance Manager" -> "Boot From File"
    Also it would be helpful if you provide a screenshot of this window called "File Explorer" if you won't be able to locate EFI loader.
    In common case you shall press on entry "EFISECTOR", [PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0, 0x1F, XXX)/{Ide,Scsi,Sata,NVMe}/HD(X,GPT,XXXX], then "EFI", then "Boot", then "bootx64.efi"

It would be more helpful if you choose "Send Technical Data" and share its ID. At this moment I know nothing about VM you trying to start: how many disks, what guest OS and so on.

5. BruceU

BruceU Bit poster

Tried your solution without success. Have attached a screen shot of the window File Explorer.
    Have generated the Technical Data file Refer 327043323

Attached Files:

6. mmika

mmika Pro

Hmm. You do have a bootcamp based VM. How bootcamp data was moved to new MAC?
    Is native bootcamp able to boot?

7. BruceU

BruceU Bit poster

Started with new iMac, migrated files from old iMac, created bootcamp with boot camp assistant, loading Windows 10. I deleted the version of parallels that had been migrated with my other data and reinstalled the latest version. I can boot into windows via bootcamp at startup (using the Opt key).

8. mmika

mmika Pro

I would suggest to remove Bootcamp VM (only VM configuration will be removed), then import bootcamp again.

9. BruceU

BruceU Bit poster

Thanks, have solved the problem. Ended up removing all related activity and started again. Successfully loaded windows thru Parallels, all is working correctly. Thanks for your help.

10. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hi, please refer to the knowledge base article to fix the error EFI Boot on Parallels Desktop.

11. wwh1

wwh1 Bit poster

There is another test probably you can try. I had to use Lagecy BIOS as well but found adding "vm.bios.efi=64" in Boot Flags did not work. I tried to open the .pvm fold and locate to config.pvs. You can find "<EfiEnabled>" label in that xml file and change it from 1 to 0. Then probably you can get the legacy BIOS without EFI.
    I'm a Paralles user so this is not an official response. You will take your own risk. :)