Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. DebD1

DebD1 Bit poster

absolute shit-show... I like all of you have invested hours and hours trying to solve my vm's issues. Blamed Windows for awhile but after my third re-install of it and getting more problems each time, I came to these forums and find it simply mind-boggling. Frustrated and thoroughly disappointed.
    I just want to do my work!

2. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

i spoke too soon. The problem occurred again this morning..:mad:

Ader and MargaretD1 like this.
  3. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

Awesome, just AWESOME.... :mad::eek:

4. HenrikB1

HenrikB1 Bit poster

ARGH! Switched from VMWare because it left my Win10 virtual machine unuseable due to an Apple update - and now Parallels also makes my Win10 VM unuseable. Please do I really have to switch back to VMWare?!?! What is the timeframe of fixing this error?

5. ChristopherM13

ChristopherM13 Bit poster

Ivan:
    I have release 15.1.1 and yet am experiencing the same problem. When I chatted with Tech Support they seemed unfamiliar with the problem even though it has been reported here for months. I sent them a Technical Report. Is there a fix yet?
    Chris

6. Hi Guys, there has been major Security & Privacy changes with macOS Catalina. Make sure permissions for Parallels Desktop is appropriately granted, refer to these steps:
    1) Quit Parallels Desktop.
    2) Open Mac System Preferences > Go to 'Security & Privacy' > Privacy.
    3) Add Parallels Desktop to list of allowed applications under 'Accessibility', 'Full Disk Access' and 'Files & Folder'.

7. HenrikB1

HenrikB1 Bit poster

The problem already occured before upgrading to Catalina - I even upgrade to Catalina, just to see if it fixed the problem it didn't, not even by applying the security settings you mention. I'm out of time - going back to VMWARE :(

MargaretD1 and L-Dog like this.
  8. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

This response shows that Parallels is not taking this issue seriously. This issue has been happening for 4 months (way before the release of Catalina)! Can someone from Parallels address this topic and show some leadership on how this issue is being researched? How about an update to assure us that the problem is at least being looked at. The patch that was issued does nothing to fix the problem.

HenrikB1 likes this.
  9. Teunisv

Teunisv Bit poster

The problem is here for a few months now. I upgraded and updated everything I could and even switched to the yearly payed Parallels, but it is totally useless. Please Parallels, do something about this.

10. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

This is so ridiculous. this problem happened in June. It's fucking the end of November and I still can't access my VM. Not to mention it has absolutely nothign to to with Catalina. I'm still running 14.10.6.

Your support is joke.

HenrikB1 likes this.
  11. r3volution11

r3volution11 Junior Member

And I'm back with the same problem again with the latest Parallels. Currently running prl_disk_tool and my mac is pretty much useless while doing so. Intermittent freezing and looks like it locks up storage a bit too because web page images won't load around the pausing. Possibly more hardware related as web pages won't load either momentarily.

When Parallels is open and experiencing problems sending technical data is impossible. The app is frozen - nothing works. It requires any Parallels process to be killed. Will any helpful data actually be available to send to you afterward should it finally work?

prl_disk_tool has no been running for well over an hour. The .hdd is 90gb. Why does this take so long as well?

12. r3volution11

prl_disk_tool took 3 hours with no proper indication that it was active. I'd suggest updating your tool to at least show some type of progress indicator.

I utilized prlsrvctl to send technical data but I'm still not sure it will be of any help.

13. r3volution11

I've now sent an additional technical report in (326797741) as the problem quickly returned after managing to get the Windows VM to open again.

14. GregoryP3

GregoryP3 Bit poster

I've been experiencing the same problems described in this thread for well over a year, and every parallels release I've been hoping for a fix. However I'm still running windows 7. I'm going to have to start looking for an alternative, I only attempt to use the VM when absolutely necessary for my older work tools, but I can't trust it.

15. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

I wonder if this issue is related to hardware or is a certain combination of software factors... How likely is it that this issue would occur if I reformatted and reinstalled my mac and my windows VM? It's been a while since I worked with a clean slate (i've upgraded over the last 3 years).

16. r3volution11

That's one of the things I've considered but after so many months of comments it's become obvious the problem isn't hardware or software related. Some people started experienced the problem with Mojave while using Windows 7 if I recall correctly

Also others have said after they started a fresh VM copy the problem quickly arose again.

That kinda kills that thought process.

17. r3volution11

I should add when I say hardware or software related it, to me, is Parallels related only.

But now I remember that since I moved to VMware recently the VM has occassionally restarted. Perhaps there's something more to it there - with the VM's hdd file.

18. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

I agree that it is definitely Parallels issue, but it seems to be an issue that affects a certain percentage of users (surely not all of their users). Did we just get lucky on the dice roll and would we have better luck if we were to try again? Or is our system configuration always going to have this issue with how Parallels software is working.

I sure would enjoy some direction from Parallels. It's much better to say "we are aware that problem still exists and are working on a solution. We should have something to say in a week" rather than say nothing. I guess they wont take this seriously unless the general public hears about this issue and it starts to affect new sign ups.

19. r3volution11

Yea. Anyone know some social influencers? Haha.

20. SheilaS3

SheilaS3 Bit poster

I have had this problem for two years now and two Macs. This really needs to get fixed