Parallels 15 sometimes freezes host system, sometimes won't start on mojave

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RossK2, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Thanks a lot for sharing this!
    Did you get the same issue with Parallels Desktop 15.1.0?

2. AndreA23

AndreA23 Bit poster

Dear Maria,
    I am having the same problem mentioned from the others parralel users in this forum.
    My computer is MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 i7 - 16GB RAM MacOS Catalina Version 10.15 - Parallel 15.1.1 - Windows 8.1 Pro.
    After I start the Windows , finalizing the startup ,the Windows freezes and also freezes the Mac (appears the round spining). I waited more than 1 hour and the laptop keeps in the same status: everything is freezed. Then I need to force the turn off the laptop. When I turn on the laptop, the Mac and Parallels runs very very slow and sometimes freeze it again.
    As I forced the turn off of, the windows spend around 2 hours to refix the Windows HD. Sometimes the laptop is turned off byitself (the Mac) in order to prevent from some errors.
    I have already reinstalled the Catalina, Parallel and the Windows from the begininig and the problem is still threre.
    When I don't have this problem at the startup the computer runs very well. So the problem appears only in the start up and sometimes.
    I really need to solve this situation because I can not turn off the computer and feel confident that I will not have the problem again.
    I also tried to make the report of the problem following the instructions from your website, but it didn't work.
    Maria, how can you help me?

3. @AndreA23 , did you get any issue with the collecting tech report?

4. AndreA23

AndreA23 Bit poster

Dear@Maria@Parallels,
    ticket 2673682
    yesterday the support 10 (Prabhakaran Muthukrishnan) called me and he did the following steps:
    During the remote session, we performed the below steps to improve the Windows 8 virtual machine performance during the start-up.
    * Disabled the startup application.
    * Performed clean boot and we could start seeing the performance improvement.
    After that during the day everything was fine until I reboot the machine. Then again the laptop freezed and/or I spent 1 hour to get everything well again.
    We need to find a solution because all time a reboot the laptop and enter in Windows/Parallels the machine freeze or take a long time to be ready for using.

5. Thanks a lot.
    Could you collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced (or after Mac rebooting) and post the report's ID here.

6. AndreA23

AndreA23 Bit poster

7. PaulW19

PaulW19 Bit poster

Hi Maria
    I am having similar issues with parallels 15 on macOS Mojave 10.14 on an iMac retina 5K (2015). I have been trying all day to get parallels 15 to even start - with/without the VM HDD present. I have just sent problem report is 326036429. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

8. WilliM.

WilliM. Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue.
    ID 326748411

9. Guys, please try to run sfc /scannow in CMD and let us know the result.

10. WilliM.

WilliM. Bit poster

I had the problem again today and there are such entries in the console:

Command: prl_vm_app
    Path: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels VM.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_vm_app
    Identifier: com.parallels.vm
    Version: 15.1.1 (47117)
    PID: 34447

Event: wakeups
    Action taken: none
    Wakeups: 45003 wakeups over the last 28 seconds (1591 wakeups per second average), exceeding limit of 150 wakeups per second over 300 seconds
    Wakeups limit: 45000
    Limit duration: 300s
    Wakeups caused: 45003
    Wakeups duration: 28s
    Duration: 28.29s
    Duration Sampled: 20.94s
    Steps: 5

11. Mike Mcc

Mike Mcc Bit poster

I had this same problem and yesterday I got on a support call with Parallels and running a few cleanups and windows updates seemed to work... at least for now. incase this helps someone, here's the breakdown in steps we took:

* Performed Disk clean up.
    * Performed Clean boot by stopping start up and unwanted services
    * Cleared temp folder files
    * Ran windows update and updated Windows to the latest build 1909.

12. WilliM.

WilliM. Bit poster

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    sfc /scannow in CMD as admin
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files and successfully repaired them. Details can be found in the file "CBS.Log" ("%WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log)".

I will continue to monitor the problem, but I'm getting tired of being a beta tester for Paralles. VMWare Fusion is already installed and being tested in parallel. Better a little slower, but without crashing the system.

13. WilliM.

WilliM. Bit poster

I noticed now that if the problem occurs there is an increased access to the HDD of the VM.

Overnight, about 10 hours, the VM restarts. After the start, however, it hangs during the installation of ParallelsTools. (because updated to V15.1.2)

I think the HDD of the VM has an error. Can I check it via terminal?

14. WenhaoL

WenhaoL Bit poster

I have the same issue and it has troubled me for a long time. Recently, I update PD to v15.1.2 and guest os hangs during the installation of ParallelsTools.
    Now it freezes both my host system and guest OS. I can't do any work.:(

15. WilliM.

WilliM. Bit poster

I switched to VMware Fusion.
    Now everything works fine, but Win10 is much slower.

WenhaoL likes this.
  16. MarkS33

MarkS33 Bit poster

I have downgraded and followed every instruction. I have not been able to work all day because of this!!! Where is the fix?? And no, I cannot report it because the only way out of the issue is to force power off my computer.

17. mavickers

mavickers Junior Member

Any chance you are using an expanding disk? I had pretty bad hangups with mine until I turned off the expanding option.

18. capt_carl

capt_carl Bit poster

Bump.

I've been having this problem as well. Windows 10 1909, Parallels 15.1.2 (47123), macOS Catalina 10.15.2. iMac 5K 27" Late 2015. Host is 4GHz quad-core I7 w/32GB of RAM. I thought my VM was the cause so I rebuilt it, but now I'm not so sure because it still occurs.

Problem report: 331275169

19. capt_carl

capt_carl Bit poster

Sorry for the double-post, but I rolled back to Parallels 14.1.3 (45485) and the issue persists. New problem report ID is 331341153.

20. JoeriG

JoeriG Bit poster

The problem occurred in June or July 2019 and we did not receive a solution from parallels since then. The Company turned into a high risk factor for our business and for our clients. If somebody wants to join the upcoming class action law suit, feel free to contact me.