Timed Out - Volume Ejected

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PigsOnTheWing, Oct 20, 2007.

1. PigsOnTheWing

PigsOnTheWing Bit poster

I cannot seem to get my Windows hard drive to mount on my Mac (Leopard) desktop. When I start Parallels - Windows XP, I get the following dialog box on my screen:

What exactly is the init_timeout mount option? And where do I find it?

I do get a Windows XP hard drive icon on my Mac desktop, but when I click on it, there is nothing inside of it.

Any ideas?

2. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Hi,

Has it ever worked?

IMHO, even if you go and find the "init_timeout" parameter, and change its value, all you're going to achieve is making the wait for your error longer....... A blind alley....

Plan of attack is however very different if it worked in the past.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. PigsOnTheWing

PigsOnTheWing Bit poster

Actually, no, it has never worked.

On rare occasion, I have managed to wind up with two (2) hard drive icons on my Mac desktop, and even rarer, one (1) of them will actually have Windows files inside of it, but mostly, the drive(s) appear to be empty, and I always get the time out error.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  4. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

OK - But you also said:

Which is it?.... [Please note that I'm not trying to be "argumentative" here, but simply trying to understand where it's falling over.]

Cheers,
    Ian

5. PigsOnTheWing

PigsOnTheWing Bit poster

Well, "no problems" as far as running the couple of Windows apps that I need to run are concerned, but as far as getting my Windows hard disk to mount on the Mac desktop, it has never worked. And now you can say I'm tired of seeing that time out error message pop up all the time. Plus, eventually, I'm going to want to drag files in/out of the Windows disk, and, as of right now, I can't.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  6. milesce

milesce Member

I'm having the same issue, running on build 9a581 of Leopard. Unable to access the windows file system from the mac under any circumstances. This is with parallels build 5160.

7. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Hmmmm - I'm starting to wish I'd never said anything :)

Anyway, now I understand the problem all I can say (unfortunately for you guys!) is that this functionality works *great* for me under 4560.

I did have a brief "flirtation" with 5160, but it broke "my" app, so I went back to 4560 - Can't honestly say if the "C drive" showed up or not when I was running 5160 - Sorry!

Cheers, good luck,
    Ian
    EDIT - But, I should also say neither did I see the timeout error.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  8. milesce

milesce Member

As best I can tell, it seems to be an issue with MacFuse. This is the error from the console:

10/24/07 12:36:35 PM [0x0-0x28028].com.parallels.desktop[302] fusefs@0 on /private/tmp/302/C (gave up on init handshake)

9. Wizkid

Wizkid Bit poster

Workaround !!!

OK, I got the same error regarding the timeout after updating to LEO today.

It was working with no issues using TIGER for me.
    I´m using a NETGEAR SC101 attached to my router using ethernet.

I´m using 5160 of PD

What I did to solve the problem is that from the PD options I don´t let PD mount my Windows disk on the MAC desktop.

Then from inside Windows I share my drives.

Inside the new Finder you will find the Parallels Windows and thru that your windows drives that you then can use as a MAC Volume.

Hope that helped....

Best Regards
    Wizkid

10. badsandwich

badsandwich Member

leopard problems

I'm having the problem described above, except the last few times I've run parallels it hasn't thrown an error about it: though double-clicking drive c icon on the mac desktop doesn't show any files.

I'm also having a few other problems:
    * If I try to access the network drive .Mac on .psf, explorer will hang. If I then try to shut down, "Parallels clipboard synchronization" hangs on windows shutdown, and the whole thing will hang on the blue "closing network connections" screen, so i'm then forced to use the stop option to quit it. as soon as i do that, parallels desktop will quit unexpectedly.
    * However: any other folders that are mapped from the mac as shared folders are all ok: If I just uncheck All Mac Disks from the vm configuration then this does not happen.
    * Applications do not work across spaces. dragging a parallels app window into another space causes all sorts of weirdness; clicking the parallels icon in the dock from a different space does not jump to that space (this last issue is not consistently repeatable)
    * Pressing the command key when parallels has focus does not always seem to open the start menu (again this is not consistent)

Other than that, everything seems ok. There is internet access from within windows, clipboard and drag and drop is all ok.

I'm using a bootcamp installation of windows xp. Parallels build 5160 with the shared networking option set.

11. rbienstock

rbienstock Junior Member

Has anyone tried following the instructions?

I'm having this exact problem. Everything worked perfectly until I upgraded to Leopard. Why has no one tried using the init_timout mount option to fix this. I respect fast_ian but he can't know that the recomended fix won't work unless he or someone else has tried it and confirmed that it doesn't work. I accept the fact that programs can, on occasion, suggest fixes that don't work, but I think that we also have to accept the fact that sometimes programmers know what they are doing and actually suggest the correct fix. I would like to, at least, try the recommended fix. Can someone tell me how to "use the init_timout mount option to wait longer"?

12. andyv

andyv Bit poster

I just installed Leopard today and I am also getting the same 'Time out. Volume ejected' message when I start Windows XP running Parallels v3 with the latest updates on my MacBook Pro with 2 GB ram.

Another problem I found was that I got a kernel panic when I tried to start windowsXP with Spaces turned on. I have to power off the laptop.

Andyv

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  13. denverjoe

denverjoe Bit poster

It appears to be a Leopard issue. I've been running 5160 under Tiger with no problems. It wasn't until I installed the shipping version of Leopard on 10/26 that I started having this problem as well. Under Leopard my XP virtual machines also take forever to shut down, and sometimes they just hang on the Windows shutdown screen. I expect we'll be seeing a new Parallels build soon that deals with these issues.

14. cope23@msn.com

cope23@msn.com Junior Member

Same Issue in Leopard with Vista Bootcamp

I am experiencing the same issue. I have been running 5160 with no issues mounting my bootcamp volume - accessing files... under Tiger. Performed the Leo install (clean install and re-install of PD, Vista) and am now getting that issue.

Anyone from Parallels want to comment?

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

We are sorry for the issues coming up with the Leopard installation. We could not prevent some bugs caused by last minute changes in the final "gold master" build of Mac OS X 10.5 released on October, 26. We are working hard to fix these problems.

For Drive C mounting and Timeout error please try to install the latest MacFUSE release: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list
    I'd appreciate you giving the feedback.

Thank you for your reports. We are analyzing all the data you give.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. jferrara

jferrara Bit poster

Almost works

Installing the latest MacFuse makes the windows drives show up on the mac desktop and I can access the files from mac apps.

But if in the windows explorer (not the osx finder) I right click on a file, go to "Open with...", and choose a mac app, I get the message...

To use your Windows files directly in Mac you should reinstall Parallels Desktop.

If I reinstall parallels, then I'm back to the "Timed Out - Volume Ejected" problem.

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

jferrara, we'd advise you to uninstall your Parallels Desktop this way:

Open Finder-->Applications-->Terminal.app, then please type and run the following commands:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/helper.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    sudo rm ~/Library/Parallels/
    sudo rm /Library/Parallels/
    sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*

After that reboot your Mac and reinstall Parallels.

Please give the feedback.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. badsandwich

badsandwich Member

It's moments like this I am glad I bought a parallels license. I've had issues with other apps during the upgrade, but their support team's response has been absent in most cases, and unhelpful in others. I will try this now.

19. jferrara

jferrara Bit poster

Sorry, but even though generally your tech support has been good, I must say that these instructions are pretty evil.

First, doesn't that need to be "sudo rm -rf ..."

Second, won't "sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Parallels" erase my virtual machine configurations? And I happen to be using a bootcamp partition, but if I wasn't, wouldn't that erase the hard drive images also?

Third, this removes your parallels activation, and you have to reenter the activation key. Not only did I have to find my 3.0 key, but I had to do dig up my 2.0 key as well (which I luckily still had), since my 3.0 was an upgrade.

Fourth, you have to activate windows again.

Some warning of the dangerous side effects would have been nice.

At any rate, I did everything except erasing ~/Library/Parallels, reinstalled MacFuse, and I still have the same problem using "Open with..." from the windows explorer. This is with build 5162.

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

jferrara, we are sorry for the misunderstanding. You certainly should not delete your VM pvs and hdd files. However they are stored by default in /Users/supportparallels/Documents/Parallels/, not in ~/Library/Parallels.

Providing these instructions we assume that you are a registered Parallels user and you have access to your activation key. If you encounter any problems here, we’re ready to help you. Here are the articles that can be useful: http://kb.parallels.com/entry/14/463/0/ , http://kb.parallels.com/entry/14/36/0/ .

After Parallels full reinstallation Windows reactivation is not needed normally.

At the point you still haven’t your problem resolved, our developers recommend you MacFUSE 1.0.0. You can also try the new Parallels beta program but please keep in mind that it is a beta release, so other bugs are possible.
    You are welcome to Beta-related discussions in the dedicated forum section.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007