Networking woes!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by D Lewis, Oct 24, 2007.

1. D Lewis

D Lewis Bit poster

I'm running XP with Parallels on a MBP with 10.4.10. All was fine and wonderful, even with the new Parallels update, until two days ago. I spend almost all of my time at work on the Windows. At home I'm mostly Mac unless I have brought work home. This was the situation and my school networking software would not allow me to open Windows (We're using Novell with Zenworks). I thought the problem would clear up when I hooked up to the network the next morning - no such luck. By yesterday afternoon I had to completely delete my VM and re-install Windows and the rest of my work software. Now I cannot use the internet connection from the Windows side, nor can Windows find the server so I can use the school administration software there. I manually entered everything needed for Windows including DNS and ALT addresses, but it is still no go.
    I'm not getting any help from our tech support (because the laptop is mine and they told me that I need a "real machine". Yeah right!). I need to continue using my MBP for work because the school won't buy the software I need for my content area. Right now I'm stuck in my 2nd day of not getting anything done paperwork-wise. This is not a wireless connection.
    Help - anyone?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

too bad you did not clone your working VM
    and can fall back on a copy

a quick google said
    "ZENworks is the name for Novell's systems management, configuration management and end-point security management product. The ZENworks family of products is broad - from Windows to Linux, desktop to tablet to server to handheld, from patch to inventory and asset management. ZENworks is designed to make the systems administators life easy."

all new to me
    so I can not help

are you using the one Mac Laptop at the two locations?

you may need two set ups for networking
    and need to register a MAC number for the VM as well as for the MBP

just a guess
    to a network the VM is just another machine

the PBP acts as a virtual router I believe

Hugh W

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. D Lewis

D Lewis Bit poster

Problem solved! I believe Angela had posted this link:

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/38/394/0/

When I checked it out, step #2 was the magic bullet. At least for today. Even though I ended up solving my own problem (with the help of a student), this forum is now running 2 for 2 with problem solving! Thanks.