Problems installing Elementary OS

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ScottB16, Nov 10, 2018.

1. ScottB16

ScottB16 Bit poster

I am trying to install Elementary OS, an Ubuntu derivative (elementary.io), under Parallels Desktop 14 on a late 2014 iMac running High Sierra (10.12). The Mac and Parallels are up to date.

ISSUE: When Elementary OS boots, all I get is a black screen. I've installed many Linux distros on this machine to test them but this is the first time I ran into this problem!

I went through the steps to install Elementary OS (eOS). Before the install, I create a custom configuration to give the VM more memory and more Video RAM. Following the config, eOS boots from the downloaded ISO file and appeaers to install without issues. When the VM with eOS installed reboot, I get a black screen. The only thing on the screen is the little network icon and power icon at the top-right of the screen.

Since eOS is based on Ubuntu, I searched the Knowledge Base for an answer. The only thing I found was a similar issue with Ubuntu server: https://kb.parallels.com/en/123760

I tried the solutions in the article but after booting on either solution, the screen goes black.

In my question to find a specific solution, I would like to give Elementary OS a try. However, I would prefer to load it in a VM than the target system since it is being used. Can anyone help?

2. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @ScottB16 , Please give us the version of elementary OS which you are trying to use on Parallels Desktop 14.

3. ScottB23

ScottB23 Bit poster

I am trying to install the latest download from elementary.io, which I believe is version 5.

Let me add the following:
    I was able to get Parallels to boot the installer from the .iso by clicking the customize the settings before installation and making the following changes:
    1. Under hardware CPU & Memory to 4Gb
    2. Graphics at 512 Mb
    3. Boot Order: checked select boot device on startup
    4. BIOS Changed to EFI 64-Bit (NOTE: Legacy BIOS fails every time!)
    I was able to make it load and boot. That will work but when I go to reboot or boot after a shutdown, I get a black screen.

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

4. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @ScottB23 , Thank you for the information Elementary OS 5.0 Juno is incompatible with Parallels Desktop 14 please try installing Elementary OS 0.4 Loki which is compatible.

5. ScottB23

ScottB23 Bit poster

How do I submit a bug report to get this fixed?

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please reproduce the issue, generate a Technical Data Report (refer to http://kb.parallels.com/9058 for assistance) while the issue is visible (very important) and reply with the report ID number.

7. m2+i

m2+i Bit poster

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

9. NormanP

NormanP Junior Member

I managed to get ElementaryOS 5 installed by NOT using the express install
    Using express always restarted and gave nothing but a black screen

Now on to getting theparallels tools installed

UPDATE : these instructions worked first time for me
    And now we're back to nothing but a black screen :(

UPDATE : disabling 3D acceleration returns things to working

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  10. Hi, could you generate the problem report please? Please check this KB article, generate PR after the issue reoccurs and reply us back with the report ID

11. NormanP

NormanP Junior Member

Technical report 301590416

12. JustinS10

JustinS10 Bit poster

I have installed ElementaryOS 5-Stable. Without the tools, things seemed to work fine. With the tools, I got two results - either the the GUI was unresponsive to mouse/keyboard, or the screen loaded to black with only the menu bar up top.

After reading above, disabling graphics acceleration has mitigated this.

13. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I'm now using Parallels 15 and when trying to install a new version of Elementary 5.0 Stable, I cannot even select the .iso for the installation. It appears to be greyed out. Elementary 5 appears as one of the supported Linux distributions on the System Requirements page. I'm using Mac Mojave 10.14.6. Any way around this, or is, in fact, Elementary not supported?

14. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Please disregard. I was using the interface improperly

15. MohamedI1

MohamedI1 Bit poster

I'm using parallels 15 and when trying install Elementary OS 5.1 stable.

I'm getting the following error.
    Boot: No Default or UI configuration directive not found. and getting struck!

I'm using Mac book pro 2017 model and OS Catalina 10.15.1

DustinM3 likes this.
  16. DustinM3

DustinM3 Bit poster

Same! Any help?

17. DustinM3

DustinM3 Bit poster

18. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

PD15.1.2 + Elementary OS 5.1 - works for me.

19. DustinM3

DustinM3 Bit poster

Yeah, I don't remember what I did but I was able to get 5.1 to work. Maybe downloaded an early version?

20. MartonS

MartonS Bit poster

Same problem here :( Can't downgrade to PD 15.x, because I have a Windows VM too, and I need v16's perf benefits for that.