No Shared Folder feature after Suspend

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jan Wittrodt, May 18, 2006.

1. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Whenever I start my Windows XP SP 2 VM form supsend I get an error when trying to reach my shared folder. This problem is present since the feature was introduced and is still present in RC (1).

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did you upgraded Parallels Tools?

3. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Yes whenever a new beta came out this is the first thing I do. Was the same with Virtual PC - "old habits die hard".

Also did a restart of my VM to make sure. Only thing I did not was a full restart of my machine.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Very strange - this was double checked during testing cycle and all worked fine. Does anyone else has similar problem?

5. rangr

rangr Member

am seeing "FATAL ERROR" messages while trying to browse shared folder. saw this also with beta6.
    VM take some time (hourglass icon) while opening shared folders and sub-folders also. identical to beta6.
    have updated parallels tools under new RC.

nice work, btw. other features working really well, as is the virtual machine.

NOTE: the fatal error doesn't always happen, just sometimes.

6. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Ok. I did a restart of my machine now.

(1) My VM was supended before I shut my machine off. I did a restart then and did boot the suspended VM. This time I got access to my shared folder.

(2) After this - partial - success I send my VM to suspend again, I did no restart of my machine this time and powered the VM back on from suspend. Now again I got no access to my shared folder but did received the same known error message.

This means:
    Send VM to suspend - reboot the machine and boot VM from suspend = access to shared folder
    Send VM to Suspend - don't reboot and boot VM from suspend = NO access to shared folder