High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Guys, do you have the same issue with the latest Toolbox update 3.7?

2. CRAIG TAYLER

CRAIG TAYLER Junior Member

Let me help get those at Parallels to understand this issue which has been going on since the Catalina OS update. This is very simple. Every time a user either reboots or restarts their Mac computer, Parallels is somehow introducing multiple system processes (viewed in your Mac activity monitor as bsdtar) There are usually 7-10 bsdtar processes that appear after any restart of the whole computer. Those trying workarounds reporting you fixed the issue only need to reboot your computer to find the problem is indeed still there. To the folks at Parallels, have you not been able to duplicate this problem? Until Parallels fixes this problem the only way to temporarily "fix" the problem after a reboot is to go into activity monitor and force quite each instance of bsdtar. To the Parallels team. I hope this gets fixed soon!

3. PeterS53

PeterS53 Bit poster

Dear Parallels Team,
    it is exactly and many times reproducable as Craig stated. On recent Catalina 10.15.01 (on a Powerbook) and recent Parallels 15.1.1. Both run in Germany in german.
    I managed to apply your tips of posts before and ended up as Craig ... what ever I do it is exactly as described, in any detail, so I expect it will not be that difficult to reproduce and looking forward you find the bug. I expect it is one.

4. amacg6

amacg6 Junior Member

I have installed today's update, but I still have the bsdtar issue with very high CPU operation and cooling fan speed until I kill the items.

5. Hi, please collect the tech report of your Parallels Toolbox once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Also did you start your Toolbox on your V or on your Mac side?

6. amacg6

amacg6 Junior Member

I was not using the toolbox, just restarting MacOS and Windows

7. MichaelE16

MichaelE16 Bit poster

Same issue here. CPU running high foir 2 days now.
    Don't have the time for further testing this PARALLELS TRASH SANDBOX utility.
    Toolbox DELETED!
    I hope I don't have to delete Parallels as well??!

8. Rockallite

Rockallite Bit poster

The version of Parallels Toolbox with bsdtar-CPU-eating problem is 2.0.7. Upgrading to version 3.7.0 solves the problem.

But you can't upgrade it from the "Check updates..." menu. Just kill the bsdtar process(es) in Activity Monitor app, removing the old version of Parallels Toolbox from Applications folder in Finder, and download the new version from Parallels website. The 7-days trial version is fine. After installing Parallels Toolbox, activate it with your license key of Parallels Desktop (which must be version 14 or higher; Otherwise, you have to buy a new license for Parallels Toolbox alone).

That's it. No annoying bsdtar processes.

RedB and Maria@Parallels like this.
  9. Thank a lot for sharing this.

10. RedB

RedB Bit poster

That doesn't work.

11. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

I have the same problem, toolbox is up to date. I just killed the BSDtar process in activity monitor. Will see what happens after a reboot. I've been wondering why my mac has been so sluggish and running so hot lately!

12. Could you please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

13. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

I will the next time. I killed the process and thought I was good for now but this morning I came out and my computer was on but the screen saver was on but the fan was running. When I checked the activity monitor there were two (2) BSDtar processes running. I killed them both as my computer was running really hot but the next time, as now I'm sure there will be a next time, I'll collect the tech report. But it isn't clear as to exactly 'when' it is happening. I only notice it after it causes the computer to run hot enough to start the fan running 100% of the time and by then it has been active for quite some time.

14. Thanks a lot for the provided info.
    We will be waiting for your tech report.

15. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

I just upgraded to Version 14 6 months ago and now I'm getting a message I need to upgrade again to version 15 to work with Catalina! This sucks.

16. FlorianT4

FlorianT4 Bit poster

After De-Installing (Deleting the Parallels Toolbox) and killing the bsdtar process in Activity Monitor it's quiet again. Nearly immediately. Sometimes I had 7 x bsdtar processes running on my machine occupying all CPU power. This program needs to be improved! Now!

17. Please collect the tech report after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

18. EdwinW1

EdwinW1 Bit poster

19. Monte1

Monte1 Bit poster

Adding myself to this thread. I've had this issue for awhile. I updated to newest Desktop yesterday as I need some additional Catalina compatibility for an app I use. Also re-installed newest Toolbox as I really like some of the tools. Even with a new fresh install SAME ISSUE...IMEDIATELY. Toolbox now un-installed. Come on Paralells, this problem has been known since the first Catalina Beta.

20. jonnybradley

jonnybradley Bit poster

Indeed, that seems to be a different issue - recently updated Parallels Desktop (15.1.2), there is no update for Toolbox, this happens every time I reboot