Sound Recording

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rprather12, May 18, 2006.

1. rprather12

rprather12 Junior Member

This RC version is installed and working fine so far except for a problem I have with sound recording.

I haven't tried it on Skype yet but I have a ham radio program called Echolink. Using it I can connect to a test server, which sounds fine, and then record some audio for playback.

The playback sounded like I was on Pluto in beta 6 now in RC it sounds like I am on Mars!

Better, and I can almost understand it but still not acceptable.

Suggestions?

2. cmpi

cmpi Junior Member

Ditto!. No sound input

Trying to use Avaya softphone. Hear perfectly... they hear me as pure noise.

3. xserve

xserve Junior Member

same problem here..

in RC, i'm able to record sound, but everything sounds like a robot talking.

even in MSN Messenger's Voice Chat, Skype etc...

hope Voice recording is usable in the final release or RC2 so I can bet money on parallels.

PEACE!

4. n9yty

n9yty Member

Not to be pushing anything on you, but why not use EchoMac? It's even Universal now.

5. beg_ne

beg_ne Bit poster

I'm very interested in the sound recording quality also. I'm testing out Parallels right now on my MacBook and am trying to get my friend to buy a Mac. She needs to use PalTalk which is the only thing holding her to her crappy desktop PC and the sound quality is definitely something that will hold her back from buying the MacBook. Other than that I'm very impressed with Parallels. So close to buying two copies right now! :)

6. xserve

xserve Junior Member

I have no problem with sound output, but for sound recording (input: mic, line-in), things just doesn't work as expected.

If I can use my Windows only VOIP program with Parallels Workstations, I will buy Parallels Workstation right away.

Parallels, Please do something about this ....

7. beg_ne

beg_ne Bit poster

Sound output seems ok here too, for instance I can hear other people on VOIP programs just fine.

I'm not convinced its simply a Mic problem. I can open up Sound Recorder and it can record my voice pretty crisp and clear that way. However loading up Skype or PalTalk and the sound turns into some weird geriatric robot type of voice.

PalTalk, while not the best program ever(IMO) it is the one I really need to get working. If anyone from Parallels would like to test the program to replicate the issue you can download the program from paltalk.com. Once you are logged in on the program goto Setup -> Preferences. Then go to the Audio Tests tab and do the Microphone test.

I'm running on a brand new MacBook with 2GB of ram, Running XP Home, everything is up to date and I have allocated 512MB to Parallels to run xp.

8. dvillarreal

dvillarreal Bit poster

9. LyBoE

LyBoE Bit poster

Mic input in Macbook doesn't work

The Mic input doesn't work also in the Parallels on my Macbook. Anyone please advise on this!!! Thanks:

10. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

This is quite an old thread now, much has been changed and improved.

In build 1970 all you should have to do is set the input (in sound prefrences on your Mac) to the mic before launching Parallels and it should work, assuming you installed the Parallels tools in your guest OS.

11. reco

reco Bit poster

On my 2.0 Ghz, 2 GB RAM macbook with build 1970, audio successfully records, but the audio level is very low (barely audible). Other audio files play fine. I made recordings with both the built-in "Sound Recorder" app and with Audacity. After amplifying it with Audacity; it seems to come out so-so (some audio artifacts). But, the audio level remains a problem.