Why do I get this weird full screen resolution?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlekseyM2, Dec 21, 2019.

1. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

Where does Parallels get this weird full screen resolution on Mac's retina display 3360 x 2100? Windows tells me that this is a "Recommended" resolution and keeps changing to it every time my Mac wakes up from a sleep. How can I specify actual resolution 2880 x 1800 and make it permanent?

2. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

3. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

Could someone please help? This part of Parallels was stable for many months and now whatever settings I change, Windows OS keeps switching to 3360 x 2100 at every occasion.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We suggest you refer to the article and resolve the issue.

5. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

Surely I googled the problem before posting my question and this article is the first one that appears in search. Unfortunately it does not work. Any other suggestions?

6. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

BTW, from the screenshot on this article I see that it is about Windows 7 and I am running Windows 10 as you can probably guess from my screenshot attached above.

7. Did you try something from this KB article?

8. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

Yes, I did.

9. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

Pretty bad support from Parallels. I found an answer on VMWare Fusion forum. It appears that 3360 x 2100 is a virtual resolution that macOS uses on its displays. Then the OS hardware layer scales this down to 2880 x 1800, which should in theory improve viewing experience. It is called "scaled resolution". So now I am not sure if Parallels and other applications have access to hardware layer in macOS, because Fusion also seems to jump to 3360 x 2100 as default. So maybe 3360 x 2100 should be default.