Parallels 15 (Pro) Desktop very slow on iMac Pro

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ChristianS27, Aug 19, 2019.

1. StevenL11

StevenL11 Bit poster

I had heaps of trouble down grading to version 14. Kept getting an Access Violation issue.
    Trying to troubleshoot that issue i moved my pvm file to the shared folder. Nothing worked so bailed and went back to 15.
    Interesting thing is now my version of 15 is working MUCH better.

2. GaryJ7

GaryJ7 Bit poster

I have the same issue with v15.1.1 - it's impossibly slow.
    Im running Parallels on a 27" iMac (4.2 GHz Intel Core i7) running OS14 to host other MacOS versions.
    This is across the board - Parallels takes forever to boot up, and apps are so sloooooow they are unusable.
    This problem is not related to any particular app - it's the same with everything.
    I dont believe the CPU usage window on Parallels ... that says 10%, but my Mac says Parallels (pro_disp_service) is using 40%.
    Its not just Parallels thats slow - everything on the host slows down when Parallels is running.
    I followed the advice in this KB article - that didn't help unfortunately.
    Considering downgrading to v14 - which used to run OK.

3. GaryJ7

GaryJ7 Bit poster

OK - so because v15 is sooooo slooooow, I just downgraded to v14.
    Much faster.
    Wondering why I paid for an upgrade when it doesnt perform as well as the version it replaced ?

4. ThomasK23

ThomasK23 Bit poster

Very slow Windows 10 guest with the current version of 15. Not usable to work with. Downgrade to 14 fixed the problem. I also wonder why I paid for an upgrade....

5. DuyN3

DuyN3 Bit poster

Hi,

I also have the same issue.
    I have the MacBook Pro 16 with 64GB Memory and 5500 Radeon which I think Is good to run Parallels.
    The Parallels Desktop is too laggy and cannot be used as is!
    I used Visual Studio and developer tools and everything is slow even is the configuration is at MAX (16 CPU, 32GB RAM and Graphics AUTO)

Please apply update! I just bought the Parallels License so I cannot revert back to 14...

6. matonics

matonics Bit poster

VM with Win10 is incredible slow. Stopped working on the VM at the moment. Please advise what to do?
    Running latest Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac 15.1.2 (47123).

MacBooks details:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,2
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 202.0.0.0.0
    SMC Version (system): 2.44f2

7. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Wow, I had posted elsewhere asking about PDP 15, but this thread sure makes it looks like Parallels is fucking us all again, and there is zero reason to give them money for an upgrade, since the new version is still a steaming pile of shit after a major point release. So disappointing that Parallels can't seem to deliver on much of anything any more. I guess with a day or two left to make a decision on paying the subscription, I had better download and test VMWare Fusion pronto. Every @%#$ing year it's a question. But shit performance in 15.1 may finally piss me off enough to move.

8. Guys, could you update to the latest build 15.1.2. and if the issue still persists collect the tech report and post the report's ID here.
    We will check it and investigate the issue further.

9. mavickers

mavickers Junior Member

Here's one from me. 328058423.

This is 15.1.2 on an iMac Pro, 128GB RAM/20 Cores running Catalina. I've assigned 32GB RAM/10 Cores to a Windows 10 guest. I generated the report immediately after building a project on Visual Studio. It took about a half hour to get from boot to end of the build, doing nothing in between.

All this was running fine on Parallels 14. I upgraded to 15 on Mojave and running the same VM was causing the entire system to beach ball intermittently. It would go long periods of time running fine then beach ball, and after a few minutes it would clear up and run normally again. If I was doing something inside the VM when things started to freeze the "busy" state on the mouse in Windows would appear and apps became unresponsive. I often work remotely and remote into this VM, and maybe it's my imagination but I don't recall experiencing these hangs during those times.

While still on Mojave I switched to running the Apple hypervisor and that seemed to constrain the hanging to Parallels - no beach balling, just Windows intermittently hanging and taking a minute or two before it returned to normal. During the course of a work day this would happen maybe 2 - 3 times. Another curious thing about Apple vs Parallels hypervisor is that when building my project in Visual Studio it would take significantly longer to build using the Parallels hypervisor even when no beach balling or hanging was occurring. The slowness appeared to be towards the beginning of the build process where Visual Studio is checking nuget packages and there is significant thrashing of the disk and/or network.

A couple times I booted into the disk recovery partition and ran a full disk check on the system volume (where the VM is located) because I swear it was possibly choking on a disk error but the volume came back clear.

So I used the Apple hypervisor and just put up with the intermittent hanging, until I upgraded to Catalina this morning. After the upgrade the VMs were relocated (I've since moved them to ~/Virtual Machines) and running the Windows 10 VM with the Parallels hypervisor performs the same as before, but now running it under the Apple hypervisor is unbearable. It does not beach ball the system but runs very, very slow.

I have two other VMs on this machine, a Windows Server 2012 guest and an OSX Sierra guest. They both run very quickly, even when running them simultaneously with the Windows 10 VM running as well.

I need to get work done so I am probably going to end up reverting to Parallels 14.

10. mavickers

mavickers Junior Member

Additional note - I'm using bitlocker on the Windows 10 VM.

11. mavickers

mavickers Junior Member

Another note - I restored a backup of this machine from August (I back them up every month) and ran it. It runs flawlessly. Something got messed up with the VM in the past few months? I'm running all the updates now and seeing if it re-introduces the problem, although I have a hard time believing that. The slowness with the broken VM occurs right when it is started.

12. mavickers

mavickers Junior Member

Yet another note (sorry to spam the group). I was fiddling with some backup copies of the Windows 10 VM and my oldest copy (from August) performed perfectly fine. I realized that between now and August I had expanded the disk because I ran out of room, from 160gb to 256gb, using the "Expanding Disk" option. I edited the HD for the malfunctioning VM and turned off the expanding disk option. After Parallels did its thing I rebooted and the performance was back to the way it was before, mostly normal.

There still is some performance issue in my environment where running the Apple hypervisor is faster than the Parallels hypervisor (it really shows up when compiling a project in Visual Studio), but I can deal with that for now. I may copy my data to the August machine, run the disk expansion and copy the data over there to see if the Parallels hypervisor runs better on it.

13. matonics

matonics Bit poster

Latest upgrade (after a long back and forth) of Version 15.1.2 (47123) solved the issue on my MacBook eventually.
    I applied a series of manual de-install and manual re-install of the latest (of a fully downloaded release) which solved the issue eventually. Can't say what exactly helped as I had the same lagging issue in the Version 15.1.2 (47123).

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  14. ScottJ4

ScottJ4 Bit poster

This happened to my brand new 16" MacBook Pro (64GB RAM, 8GB 5500m GPU, 2TB SSD) yesterday. Just received it and installed Parallels 15 and all of the updates first thing, and had unusably slow Windows 10 VMs. I downgraded to Parallels v14 and performance was immediately excellent.

But something I read in this thread let me to try Downgrading to v14 and then re-upgrading to v15. This fixed it for me.

What fixed it for me was downgrading to v14 and then re-upgrading to v15.

15. PVM

PVM Bit poster

Parallels 15 is still very slow on my desktop. Tried to downgrade and upgrade. Did not help.

Host: iMac 32GB RAM i7 4-core, OSX Catalina 10.15.2
    Guest: Ubuntu 16.04.6 kernel 4.15.0-72-generic (4GB RAM, 2 cores)
    Problem: in a terminal, typing a command does not have any response. a simple ls command takes several seconds to execute. can barely move a terminal window. seems it messed up with graphics driver?

WenhaoL likes this.
  16. BelikovS

BelikovS Bit poster

Same here. It runs much slower then I expected and give lags even in simple tasks especially if I try to do something in parallel. Online audio that works ok on non-VM or in MacOS starts lagging at any serious load.
    Host: MacBook Pro 2018 with 2.6Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM and Vega12, Catalina 10.15.1
    Guest: Windows 10 Pro with latest updates.
    I am using VM with Parallels disk encryption, maybe it causes slowdowns?
    And it is not clear how much processors to set.
    This article suggests half of available: https://kb.parallels.com/112091
    But the settings window itself suggests setting all available processors.
    I tried to reduce the number of cores to 4 but saw no difference.
    And during those lags, it does not turn cooler on, so it seems it just does not load CPU for some reason.

17. Caillebotte

Caillebotte Bit poster

We have January 2020 now - and it seems the issue still persists. Had latest Versions of Mac OS 10.15 and also Parallels 15 and just downgraded to Parallels 14 and since then things work aceptable again ... I wonder how such a major issue can persist for more than 6 months .. but anyway ...

DuyN3 likes this.
  18. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Parallels management not giving a flying @%#$b seems like the likely reason. They have a history of not giving a shit on bugs like this. The devs are competent, but leadership are just utterly damn worthless. Sadly stock holders love CEOs who screw idiot customers out of their money. They won't be getting any more from me. Fuck Parallels at this point. Beens crewed by this company too many times. My second machine is going to VMWare in a few weeks, and my primary machine (iMac Pro) soon after, since these shit stains can't be bothered fixing this.

DuyN3 likes this.
  19. PVM

PVM Bit poster

@ Maria@ParallelsParallels Team
    There are so many bug reports here. The one I reported affects my daily work. Could you please help ask your tech team to repro (just install MacOSX Catalina 10.15.2 host and a Ubuntu 16.04.6 VM you will get it) and fix the bug asap?

The bug seems related to the linux graphics driver (a guess). When I ssh in the Ubuntu VM and issue the same ls command, it is pretty fast. But I do ls in a VM terminal directly, it is VERY slow.

20. nickp12

nickp12 Bit poster

Same here on a brand new maxed out 16' MacBook Pro.
    Unusable slow performance, cannot even go above 1920x1200 res for some reason.
    Funny thing is, Parallels 15 ran fine on my older 2018 MacBook Pro