PD14 unusable. PD12 possible on Mojave (MacOS 10.14.5) ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nanooq, Jun 30, 2019.

1. nanooq

nanooq Member

Hi,
    as the Parallels Desktop 14 upgrade basically made my Parallels VMs unusable (Windows 10 now boots > 6 mins and is ultra-slow then as the Mac itself), I would like to go back to PD12. I read that PD12 runs on Mojave and I still have the old dmg file (ParallelsDesktop-12.0.2-41353) as well as the license key. However, when I try to install it the PopUp "Installing Parallels Desktop..." shows up for less than a second and then nothings else happens, i.e. no installation. I removed PD via pdremove.app before.
    Does anybody know how get PD12 installed on my Mac so I can use my VMs again ?
    Thx in advance.

2. Hi @nanooq, Parallels Desktop 12 is not compatible with Mac OS Mojave.
    Please check this KB article for more info about Parallels Desktop and Mac Os compatibility

3. nanooq

nanooq Member

Hi Maria,
    thanks for the info.
    Is there any other way to get a working PD on Mojave ? As many others the "upgrade" to PD14 left my system next to unusable, it's really a pain to work with Windows 10 once it is done with booting for 5 mins. Let alone any promised performance gains...
    I don't care about the most recent version (didn't work for me with PD14), just something that works.

And yes, I tried all the hacks, recommendations etc. already.

4. tblack

tblack Member

So, a reply please?

5. Could you provide us with your Activity monitor (after starting start Parallels Desktop) screenshot please?
    Did you get high CPU usage while working with Parallels Desktop?

6. nanooq

nanooq Member

All VM boots (Windows and Linux) lead to approx. 150% CPU, go down to normal values after using the VM for a while. BUT then, every 15-30 mins the VMs freeze, CPU usage on the Mac by PD VM is about 150% and the VM isn't responding for about 2 minutes. No reaction whatsoever. I have to wait until it's over and then continue to work.
    Linux VMs boot almost as fast as in PD12 but since PD14 have these frequent freezes which are very annoying.
    I have several Windows 10 VMs (migrated from Win 7 in PD12), e.g. a lean one just for home banking. My main work Win 10 VM is the worst, takes about 4-5 minutes to boot and not really responsive when it is running.
    I even investigated with the MS Performance Monitor (?, free tool by MS) and found that there a phase over over 60 seconds in the middle of the boot process during which the VM has 100% CPU and 0 disk usage. Maybe that helps. But even without the 65 seconds it would still be about 2 times slower than PD12.
    Which screenshots would you need ? During the boot process, during use, during freezes ?
    My config: iMac (13.1), 8GB RAM, FusionDrive (50% space used). No problems with PD until PD14 (except for some PTools linux headers of newly released Ubuntu versions).
    Thanks,
    N

7. nanooq

nanooq Member

Here is a screenshot of the Windows Performance Analyzer, using BootCKCL.etl (boot process usually takes between 4,5 - 5,5 minutes, 270 - 320 sec, please note the "plateau" in the middle, high in CPU, zero in Storage):
    [​IMG] (https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApDJA-2pig65flk6QuBNhzqIdKM)
    Another strange observation: using iostat on the Mac shows frequent high MB/s rates during Linux boots (50-100 MB/s) from the SSD part of FusionDrive, low rates from the HDD. Lower values for the smaller Windows 10 VMs and the lowest values (very few 10-25 MB/s) in case of my main Windows 10 VM, the one that the screenshot above belongs to. Since this is the VM I used most in the past, FusionDrive should have all the frequently used blocks in the SSD part but iostat shows mostly very low values. Is PD14 behaving differently with FusionDrives ?
    TRIM is disabled, chkdsk, sfc /scannow, DSM, HDD First Aid, tried Apple and Parallels hypervisor etc. all done to no avail, no changes.

8. nanooq

nanooq Member

Any reaction ?

9. Could you collect the tech report after the issue reproduced please?

10. nanooq

nanooq Member

I did. On March 1st, 2019 ! You can find my post on this here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads...fter-upgrade-to-v14.345305/page-6#post-851054
    Technical Report: 301155359, didn't get any reaction.

Please let me know if should create another one. I run PD14 on Mojave. It's easy to reproduce, since it is happening every time I boot Windows 10 since I upgraded to PD14. Tried the PD15 Trial, not better. Tried a Win 10 fresh, vanilla install, same same. Tried moving the VM to a USB 3.0 HDD, same same. PD12 was lightning fast, Win7 was lightning fast. Now PD14 with Win10 is slowing down the whole machine.
    Related to all Windows 10 VMs I use. Linux is still fast but has frequent hangs for a minute since PD14.

11. nanooq

nanooq Member

Tried vmware Fusion again (11.5) and found out that migrated Parallels VMs perform/boot as bad as on PD14 BUT newly installed Win10 VMs boot about 5 times faster than PD14 (approx. 1 min compared to a newly installed Win10 on PD14). So...