Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. nanooq

nanooq Member

Same problems since the upgrade to PD14 about 9 months ago, the forum is full of it. TechReport doesn't lead to any reaction.
    I think they have no clue what is happening, just poking (try TRIM, Apple HyperVisor, send a report) without any remedy.

2. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

I installed the latest update. The behavior seems to be different, but will take more time to examine. I encourage others to download the update to collectively see if they notice different behavior. FYI, the release notes do not specifically address fixing this issue.

3. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

Bump. I just had this error today and it took a couple of hours before my VM came back up. This software is unusable.

4. Hi, did you try to reset your VM?

5. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

Thanks Maria. I've previously reset my VM a couple of months ago, but not after installing the latest update. I'll back the VM up and reset it.

Others, please feel free to respond if you've reset your VM after installing the latest update. It will likely take a few days (or more) to see if I experience this error again.

6. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

This may be a stupid question, but how do you "reset VM"?

7. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

You can reset by going to the following: parallels menu > Actions > Reset. It's in the same menu as the Restart, Shutdown and Suspend actions.

MargaretD1 likes this.
  8. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

Thanks!

9. BartC

BartC Bit poster

I too have the same issue now. I can't get to the "Reset" selection. When I'm able to get far enough in the boot to see that menu, "Reset" is grayed out. Is there another way to pull files from a VM? I really need to finish some files for a deadline and they are stuck on my VM.

10. You can try to stop VM and add your VM hard drive to new created VM and check the issue.
    Also you can just try to stop VM and then star it once again.
    Please let us know when does the issue appear at first time? After update?

11. DavidZ6

DavidZ6 Bit poster

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the other day and am now having the same issues described in this long-running thread, i.e. Win10 doesn't want to load. I'm running Parallels 15.1.2 and the latest Mac OS. Anything new come up this past few days to solve this problem?

12. DavidZ6

DavidZ6 Bit poster

After letting the spinning device run for over four hours last night, I said, "screw it" and re-started by computer. The VM briefly operated for 2 minutes before Win10 froze up and I had to start all over again.

Since I had a ticket open from a previous freezing up situation back in October (when I was running Windows 7), I re-opened the ticket and let them know I was still having problems. The Support Member, Prabhu, asked that I make sure my computer wasn't downloading something from iCloud or anti-virus software and if it was, to cease operation. Nothing was downloading so his suggestion was pointless. He also had this to say:
    "If the same screen appears for more than twenty-four hours with message 'checking disks with improper shutdown', then to check further please submit a Technical Data Report(include screenshots) and provide us with its 9 digit ID number to this email, so that we can check on this issue."

I'm supposed to run my computer with the Win10 spinning device for 24 hours?! And take a screen shot of the spinning wheel? This is not how Customer Support is supposed to work. Very disappointed. If anyone else has a suggestion, please let me know.

13. DavidZ6

DavidZ6 Bit poster

I solved the problem like several others on this Forum: Went to VMware's Fusion product. If it remains stable, so long Parallels.

14. RobertP30

RobertP30 Bit poster

That does not work if Windows 10 does not load.

15. Ninja Lu

Ninja Lu Bit poster

I am running into this issue now. Thought it was because I needed a new version of Parallels so I went ahead and bought the upgrade, and it did not fix anything. I have tried all suggestions in this thread, but I'm still stuck forcing shutdowns on my MacBook.
    I can't believe I paid for this less than 24hours ago. It's the beginning of the semester and I cannot afford this waste of time. It's affecting the performance of my computer even when it isn't running. Also, reading this thread has made me really angry at the customer support for Parallels.

Anyone had success switching to another service/program? I haven't researched so far, but if this doesn't get fixed this week (and it looks like they won't ever fix it), I'd love suggestions.

16. RobertP30

RobertP30 Bit poster

I found yesterday on my iMac that if I briefly triggered the shutdown button, I could recover my cursor. Then I followed an earlier posters suggestion to reset Parallels via the Actions menu. That brought things back into line.

17. DavidZ6

DavidZ6 Bit poster

Ninja, I switched to VMWare's Fusion for Mac. It was very easy and it allows you to import VM from Parallels. Costs $79 and worth every penny for a stable, reliable VM. Save yourself the anguish and aggravation.

Ninja Lu likes this.
  18. Ninja Lu

Ninja Lu Bit poster

Well, I fixed it. It was a lengthy process to figure it out, but I did it.

I documented every step I took. I'll make a full post with screenshots. It'll be a bit lengthy, but I'll give a summary first of what I think was the fix.

I suspect that the issue has to do with Parallels instability with the Windows Update system. In my case I'm nearly 100% certain that the Windows Update triggered the whole thing. For months every time it updated, Parallels would become unstable, freeze, or just make everything slow. Yesterday's update is what froze and screwed up my computer. While it may be a problem with Windows, I really think that there is a huge flaw in Parallels that is completely screwing up our computers in the process.

What I can't believe is the utter lack of action from Parallels support. I'm still pretty angry about it. Do better.

While I have fixed this for now, I am still going to look into other options. I just don't have the time right now to transition everything. I've wasted enough time already. I don't consider myself a very tech savvy person, but I figured out the initial steps that led me down a path of googling the errors. I especially feel for those of you who complained about this problem 6 months ago and have had no real or useful help from Parallels whatsoever. I'd like to know if my solution works for others.

I'm restarting my computer and I'll post the full documentation of what I did. Also, if I do run into problems again I'll make sure you all know, just to avoid wasting any more of your time.

19. Ninja Lu

Ninja Lu Bit poster

I was able to make it work again. I'll just go through what I did, with no promises that it would work for everyone. Forgive the length of this post, but I just want to include as much detail as possible so others can compare their experience and maybe try what I did. Also, maybe Parallels can use this to fix things from their side... seriously.

Go to the end for a quick summary of what finally worked. That said, it's possible that a few of the steps I took fixed certain things along the way. I typed all the stuff below as I was doing it.

Background:
    So, I suspect that the problem has to do with the way the Windows Update works with Parallels. I had noticed months ago that whenever Windows started to update, my computer would just go crazy slow. I'd have to leave it updating overnight.
    Yesterday when I opened Parallels there were a bunch of Windows Updates to download. I hadn't opened Parallels in a little over a month due to winter break (I'm a grad student). Windows updated (and it took a while and nearly froze my computer). When the update was complete, that's when my computer and parallels started really acting up. I wasn't able to open Windows again after that. It was in that holding pattern that everyone here was describing. It was annoying, because for some reason when I would force the shutdown, no matter what I did, Parallels would force itself to boot up. In some cases it didn't boot up, but I looked at the Activity Monitor and would see some Parallels activity there taking up most of my CPU power but Parallels was supposedly not even open. It was freezing my computer for minutes at a time and would unfreeze for a few seconds and go back into the freeze holding pattern. I was up until 2am last night trying to fix it, and I decided to leave Windows in that holding pattern overnight in the hope that it would work through the process. It didn't. When I got up this morning my computer was frozen with that stupidly annoying status circle.

What I did:
    I decided to work backwards. I deleted both Parallels and the Windows 10.pvm file. I went into Time Machine and picked a point when I knew I had no troubles with either Parallels and Windows (late November). I restored both files/applications to that date. That process took about an hour.
    I was able to open Parallels and Windows. I immediately went into settings/Updates and paused all updates. I suspect there is some kind of corrupted file there that is wreaking havoc.
    [​IMG]

Next, I went to Troubleshoot under "Update & Security". I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter (It says "Resolve problem that prevents you from updating Windows" under that option).
    [​IMG]
    This is what it said (the relevant part, where problems were detected):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Text of the detected errors (to make this searchable for others)
    Check for Windows Update issues Detected
    Detects issues related to Windows Update.

Detection details
    IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
    IsPostback: False

WaaSMedicService
    Issue found by :NoUsoScanPlugin

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
    IsPostback: True

InformationalService Status
    Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.
    InformationalService Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

So I googled "For the NET HELPMSG 2182 Error" first and followed instructions in the following link to solve them:

https://windowsreport.com/how-to-fix-the-net-helpmsg-2182-error/

You need to run CMD as an administrator. If you right click on the CMD app, you get that option.

I followed all the steps (from the link above), including the system file checker scan:
    [​IMG]
    and then restarted Windows. It took a little longer than usual to restart, FYI.
    I went back to the Update menu in settings. The updates were still paused. I then went back to troubleshoot in the updates menu to check if there was a difference in errors detected.

I got the same errors as before. I decided to deal with the "IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates" error.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...gupdates/b0a33fc8-b68c-48c9-a681-a5e25d4f82d5

Followed these instructions:
    "Windows Key+R > Type services.msc and press Enter > Locate Background Intelligence transfer and ensure it is set to Start and Automatic. Also do the same for Windows Update service as well
    If they are already set to start, stop them, start and Automatic and restart your computer."

When you click on these you will want to right click and then click on "properties" and change everything in there. I changed it to Automatic... not delayed start.

I restarted and ran the update troubleshooter again. Still had the same problem.

Ran this code again in CMD (again, why the hell not?):

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    n (error because I had run it before)
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old (error because I had run it before)
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

So I moved onto the WaaS error:
    https://appuals.com/what-is-waasmedic-and-how-to-disable-it-and-fix-it/

Followed the instructions in the link above, ran the Wub file. Restarted, and ran Update troubleshoot, and NO ISSUES DETECTED!
    The Wub file disables WaaSMedic.
    I did the disk cleanup (one of the steps in the link above), but was unable to do the last step: "Solution 2: Configuring Windows"
    The file that was mentioned was not there. There was a similarly named file, but it did not allow me to turn it off.

So, I went ahead and did this [The "Fix Update January 2020]:
    http://windowsbulletin.com/how-to-disable-waasmedic-in-windows-10/
    I downloaded ran the PC repair & optimizer tool. Full system scan.
    [​IMG]
    It found corrupted files and error in the Background Intelligence Transfer (BITS) files that I tried to fix in previous steps above. I paid for the software, btw. It wouldn't fix the issues without buying the software.

It also found some other problems (not sure if they are related or relevant):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went back to Settings/Updates and turned updates back on. I had restarted both Parallels and my computer at that point. I did restart Parallels multiple times through the steps above.
    Parallels is now running smoothly, much better than it ever has. It is not consuming as much CPU power. This whole process (not including the time taken to restore the files) took 3-4 hours.

Summary/My Thoughts:
    There is some bad mojo happening between Parallels and Windows Update. I can't be sure which of the files above are causing it, but it's either the WaaSMedic file or the Background Intelligence Transfer System (BITS) files. Maybe they are getting corrupted during updates and bricking Parallels completely. I disabled WaasMedic in one of the steps above, and it's still disabled. I'm going to leave it that way for now.

So in two steps:
    1. Restore two files through Time Machine (pick a date that you can be sure that they were both working well): Parallels & WIndows 10.pvm
    You obviously need to get this done before you can do the next step. Although I deleted the Windows file, all recent settings were preserved (same background, color scheme: I had changed them recently).
    2. Disable WaaSMedic and fix the BITS files. There may be a free way to do it, but I ended up buying the PC Repair & Optimizer Tool. Maybe someone who is more tech savvy knows how to fix those issues (the screenshot is above) without buying the software. Also, I did run some code before running the repair tool that may have also fixed some things. That's why I wanted to include all the steps and code I ran.

Sorry for the long post. If Parallels support can't do anything with this information, then I don't know how else to help.

GregA1 and L-Dog like this.
  20. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

Thanks for thorough post! i took a different route and I'm having good results. I think the issue is something odd interaction that one of the parallels setting had on the mac. My machine has been working for the last 3 weeks. I've got a 2 part solution. I'm not sure if part 2 was necessary..

What probably resolved the issue
    1. Leave your VM in its currently location on your mac.
    2. Remove parallels COMPLETELY. Parallels hides lots of preference files etc. You'll know when you completely remove it "enough" because it wont auto-resolve the location of your windows vm upon reinstall. If you complete uninstalled, parallels will ask you to create a new VM or open one. Of course, you'll want to browse to the one you have. If it autoresolves to your VM, you'll want to keep uninstall more stuff. I had to do quite a bit of searching on how to completely remove parallels.

This may be overkill but I did it anyway:
    My machine ran good for 2 days. I decided to rebuild my entire laptop because it was the holidays and I wanted to take the time to clear junk off my computer so I decided to wipe my machine. I kept my windows VM and reattached it once Catalina was installed and Parallels was installed.