CentOS 8

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by StefanS20, Dec 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. StefanS20

StefanS20 Bit poster

Does somebody know how to install the Parallels Tools in CentOS 8? Do they work with CentOS 8?

2. Abishek

Abishek Member

3. gotosimon

gotosimon Bit poster

Instead of saying you don't support it can you you say when you will support it?

4. VolkerA

VolkerA Bit poster

This is very sad. I just upgraded from version 14 to 15 just because in 14 the installation failed. I assumed this fixed in the latest version. Unfortunately, I couldn't imagine at all that such an important distribution would not be supported. Parallels, this is really a failure - not supporting THE major distro!

5. robert34

robert34 Bit poster

Any plans to support centos/redhat 8? if so, when?

6. MichaelV11

MichaelV11 Bit poster

I can't believe this OS is not supported? Its been out for over 1 year. VMware fusion had this OS support while CentOS 8 was in Beta. When will this be supported? This is a very poor way to not even give a date when it might be supported?

7. mengelsen

mengelsen Bit poster

CentOS 8 has been out of public beta for 4+ months. I am very disappointed that Parallels hasn't updated their platform with a set of the Parallels Tools that is compatible with CentOS 8!

8. MichaelW61

MichaelW61 Bit poster

Hey Parallels, Its been 2 1/2 months since this question was asked and replied to inadequately. We need to know when Centos 8 will be supported by the tools please.

9. MichaelW61

MichaelW61 Bit poster

Parallels, The only reason I paid for the "pro" option was to be able to get rid of physical servers at home however I need support for Centos 8 as I WILL NOT install an older OS. I even opened a support ticket and was told "no plans" that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

10. DarrylB1

DarrylB1 Bit poster

Does someone have to hit this company with a clue-by-four?
    One use of Parallels is to run recently released OSes in a test environment that you can make mistakes in and start from scratch over and over again without having to ask the infrastructure people to rebuild your ESX VM. I at least don't expect you to support beta releases of even the official release day one. But AFTER 10 MONTHS SINCE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE THERE IS NO EXCUSE. If Parallels had bought a Red Hat license it would be over a year since release.

11. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

I bet VMware Fusion does.

12. DarrylB1

DarrylB1 Bit poster

I just checked and yes VMware Fusion 11.5 does support CentOS 8. I guess when my subscription comes up for renewal I'll switch.

13. DarrylB1

DarrylB1 Bit poster

14. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

15. TimL14

TimL14 Bit poster

Parallels 16 works fine with CentOS 8 (installation date 2020-10-22), although I did have to manually update the VM, reboot, and then manually run:
    Code:
    sudo dnf install checkpolicy selinux-policy-devel gcc kernel-devel-$(uname -r) kernel-headers-$(uname -r) make
    After doing that I was able to install the tools without issue. This was with kernel 4.18, haven't tried it with a more recent version so you'll probably need to look at the link above to run a 5.x kernel.