Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

One thing to add to my post above. Remember to reset your VM after connecting it to Parallels. I don't know if this was 100% necessary but it's recommended from the documentation I've read.

2. Tommyw2

Tommyw2 Bit poster

1. MacOS 10.14.4, 32GB RAM, late 2014 iMac 5K; Win 10 1803 2. Was not doing anything in Windows at the time 3. Power outage this morning; trouble occurred thereafter 4. After strength returned MacOS launched without issue but Windows caught on Parallels "starting" screen. Disk Utility stated errors; booted into Internet Recovery Mode to run the version of Disk Utility that truly repairs; ran it quite a few times 5. Also deleted all Time Machine local snapshots as that is recognized to cause disk corruption 6. Finally used to be able to get Disk Utility to exhibit no errors on the disk 7. Relaunched Windows and was again caught on the Parallels "starting" display screen

3. PeterS21

PeterS21 Bit poster

I tend to agree. Now I can't even start parallels desktop. Activity monitor > Disk > sort Bytes Read descending shows a process named prl_disp_service has read 20.42 gb and counting. The next biggest is kernel_task (Mac os) with 863 mb. Can you elaborate on what you did to fix this? (Assuming parallels ever starts)

4. PeterS21

PeterS21 Bit poster

If you are serious about class action, I'm in. I'm just a casual parallels user, but I did pay for it and it doesn't work. I don't usually take money out of my wallet and throw it in the trash.

5. PeterS21

PeterS21 Bit poster

If anyone on this forum is a lawyer or knows one who has done a class action lawsuit it's way past time to start the process. That is the only way we are going to get their attention.

6. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

This is still happening for me.

You should be ashamed of your support Parallels. Disgusting.

7. NicholasD5

NicholasD5 Bit poster

In the last week I've pretty much lost $3,000 worth of my time (I'm a contractor) and about $2,000 worth of code changes because of this issue. There was also the slow burn of two-hours-here-two-hours-there of trying to resuscitate windows since I "upgraded" to 15. I guess I was too optimistic that things would be fixed by Parallels. I may as well had just bought a windows machine in addition to my Macbook if I had known how unreliable Parallels would become, and how incompatible it has become is with Windows.

Anyway, I'm officially onto VMWare now. Hopefully the grass is actually greener.

8. KrzysztofI

KrzysztofI Junior Member

My situation is so frustrating. I know that Paralles can crash. Today is special moment because I can't start it up. I wanted to use terminal solution by my pvm won't show me content. I think how file crushed. Moreover in control panel I can see start button or any other. Just windows 10 on grey layout. Soooo strange and not funny. I have to reinstall it.

9. PatrickF8

PatrickF8 Bit poster

All the same problems as as been mentioned by everyone else. Been going on for months, but I have been able to work through it. But as of last week I haven't been able to start Parallels at all. Just spins that it is checking disk. Ran the disk utility, never finished after hours. My computer becomes completely unresponsive after I have started Parallels, so it is an arduous process to even try and fix this.

10. PatrickF8

PatrickF8 Bit poster

After reading how little help has been provided by Parallels, I will be looking to install VMWare and hope for better results

11. Guys, sorry for the delay in response, please collect the tech report right after the Windows 10 stuck and post the report's ID here.
    We will check it.

12. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

LOL Did you just say "Sorry for the delay?"

It's been a fucking year and my shit is still trapped in this garbage software, which I pay for. We've all emailed you.

Why isn't there a fix for this?

13. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

And the new Parallels has the nerve to show advertising about other products and apps after I already paid for this and can't even use it.

14. PedroJ

PedroJ Bit poster

I have the same issue. Parallels 15 is a ticking timebomb for me. I wait in fear of the disk reads pegging to 100% and bottlenecking all disk I/O on my Mac, slowing my machine to a crawl and destabilizing it for at least two reboots. Parallels, this is clearly reproducible. Please fix this immediately. I need Parallels to work for my livelihood, like many other people.

15. PedroJ

PedroJ Bit poster

To be clear, I'm specifically talking about running Windows 10 on Parallels.

16. Could you please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    We're unable to find the root cause of the issue without the tech.data
    Thanks for understanding.

17. Jakub L.

Jakub L. Bit poster

I'm also suffering with this problem and I also have lost thousands of euros (as a contractor) because of this bug ('waiting' until 'something' is read). I have just sent a diagnostics report (333830360) generated DURING the issue was occurring so I hope that it helps to resolve the problem ASAP. I have also entered a support ticket, thanks for looking into this and making Parallels great again! ;)

18. James_Ingold

James_Ingold Bit poster

Been having this same issue for a while, Windows 10 on Parallels. Pretty hard to get any reports when the system grinds to a halt...

MargaretD1 likes this.
  19. James_Ingold

James_Ingold Bit poster

Here was my morning/afternooon (Pretty much repeat this at least twice a week for the past several months) ->
    Resume Parallels Windows 10 session
    Mac starts taking off like a rocket ship
    "Oh no, not again"
    The system becomes less responsive
    Trying to Google something, it sits there at "waiting on cache" as my disk i/o peaks
    Wait for 30 minutes hoping Parallels sorts itself out
    No dice, applications won't close, beach balls left and right
    Hard reboot
    The disk still seems to be struggling despite Parallels being closed
    Hard reboot again
    Do work on the Mac side for a few hours (DO NOT DARE OPEN Parallels for fear of being locked up for another couple of hours)
    Open Parallels spin at checking disks after an improper shutdown with same unresponsive symptoms for a good 45 minutes while I eat lunch
    Things resume, Windows opens and everything is okay until the next time

20. PaulB30

PaulB30 Bit poster

I believe this is linked to Windows updates being pushed through by Microsoft clashing with Parallels own windows update maintenance. FYI I have 2013 iMac and a 2017 iMac - this only occurs on the 2013 model, same as the OP. No issues with the 2017 iMac.

The workaround I'm using is to first go into the VM menu and select configure, then maintenance, set the maintenance to run once weekly, for example I chose Saturday at 3am when I'm less likely to use the Mac.

Then go into windows update settings and set that to run every seven days.

However, on a nightly basis I still need to manually run any Microsoft updates first, once those are complete manually run the VM maintenance, otherwise it still freezes, but I've found if I keep on top of the nightly updates it keeps the freezes at bay. Also, still ensure you keep the VM maintenance and Microsoft updates scheduled. Not ideal by any stretch, but better than spending a couple of hours tearing your hair out after every freeze.

Parallels really need to fix this.