CTRL-Click not working in RC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by maverick808, May 18, 2006.

1. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

In the RC version I now have to do Ctrl-Shift-Click for a right-click. What's wrong with just Ctrl-Click?

2. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Same here. Control-Click is gone. Pause Button is gone to. Power off and Suspend but no pause.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Due to many requests Suspend feature was moved to former Pause button and Pause feature was moved to VM menu.

4. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

The problem was that some apps want Ctrl-Click as valid input - Shift-Ctrl-Click might be less frequent.

Unfortunately this hasn't fixed the other problem with the simulated right click. Apparently Parallels still sends ctrl bits with the click as right click in Word to get spelling suggestions still doesn't work (and tells you to make a selection, first).

/D

5. dkwong

dkwong Junior Member

Perhaps because CTRL-Click means something else to the guest OS? In Windows, CTRL-Click allows you to select multiple items. Parallel guys, if this is the intent, then consider this to be my vote to continue with it. I find the multiple select capability to be much more valuable than the right click emulation, but obviously, I don't speak for everyone.

6. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Having crtl-click in windows is important. I just want some way to get a right click. If crtl-shift-click does the trick that is fine with me.

7. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Yup, I've decided I'm fine with ctrl-shift-click since it does allow me to do multiple file selects with ctrl-click now. Also, I can right click using two-fingers+click on trackpad.

8. sunnfun

sunnfun Junior Member

I switch a lot back and forth between OS X and Windows and I always get confused with the switch between ctrl-click in OS X and the new ctrl-shift-click in Parallels. The way it is right now blows... I always ctrl-click first (in Win) wait a while (since sometimes it takes a while to show the context menu), then realize I have to ctrl-shift-click and so on...

Please, since I use a MBPo and have only my trackpad I vote heavily to return to ctrl-click, or at least make it an option under Hotkeys in Parallels Preferences.

9. VTMac

VTMac Pro

God no!!!! CTRL+click is the WORST possible solution for context menu. It eliminates the use of have the windows software I use the relies on multi select list boxes. I don't care if you make it an option, but please, PLEASE, do not put it permanently back to the previous way.

10. mcg

mcg Hunter

I'm all for options, but I've gotta agree with those that say the Windows behavior ought to be the default. In fact, once we all get the necessary firmware/software upgrade so that the two-finger right click works on our touchpads, this will be a moot issue.

11. joshv

joshv Member

Well, on the MBP 17" - we now have an option in the Trackpad System Preferences called "Place two fingers on trackpad and click for secondary click". This works fine as a right-click in a RC VM. MS Word even started working in spell check.

Strangest thing, I have a MBP 15" that I could take a look at, and this option is not in the mouse prefs. Wonder why not?

12. joshv

joshv Member

Ah.... that must be why it appears on the 17" and not on the 15"......

13. solefald

solefald Bit poster

Because 15" MBP does not have that ability. It was introduced when 17" came out, and now
    all of us sitting here and waing for Apple to enable this in the future software/firmware upgrades.

14. mcg

mcg Hunter

Agreed, I'm quite anxious to get this nifty feature. As it is I love being able to scroll using two fingers! In the meanwhile though, I'm content with ctrl-shift-click.

15. jtenenb

jtenenb Member

At the very least give us the option of CTRL-Click or SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK the same way we have an option on hotkeys for full screen mode. And just as a usability thing, it would have been nice for the release notes to have included this pretty major shift in the user experiance.

Also now that I cant use OSX keys like Apple-TAB for the program switcher I cant easily use VirtueDesktops to swap back and forth between a full screen XP and OS X. I think I'm going to downgrade to beta 6 unless these features are delt with. Please bring back OSX hotkeys for this purpose!

Last edited: May 18, 2006