How to proceed with 10.5 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by WolfgangS, Oct 16, 2007.

1. WolfgangS

WolfgangS Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 Build 5160 on 10.4.10. I will go for the update to 10.5 if it's available end of the month. My question is how do I have to proceed?

1. Install the 10.5 upgrade and ok

or

2. - Uninstall Parallels
    - Install 10.5 upgrade
    - Install Parallels again

Is there already an advise?

-Wolfgang

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

I'm going to install leopard and not parallels.

It should be fine, i hope

3. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

I think I could use a little advice on this subject as well. I have an install with build 3214 (Yeah, I know) working perfectly... although the .hdd is backed up, I'd like to ensure that my installation will survive the upgrade, or, at least a reinstall would still work.

4. David5000

David5000 Pro

I'm running 2.5, build 3214, also. (Not sure why you think there is anything wrong with this; some of us consider 3.0 to be a kind of 2.6 beta.) Parallels said in another thread today that 2.5 should be fine with OS X 10.5 and if there are bugs they will be addressed in two weeks or so after 10.5 comes out.

I plan to wait a little to see if others experience problems with 10.5 before installing it myself. My drive is always backed up with multiple clones on external drives via SuperDuper, so if I have problems myself, I will reinstall, i.e., copy, PD 2.5 from one of the clones. If that doesn't work, I will either install PD 3.0 (if that has been shown to work) or reclone my entire 10.4 drive from one of the backups and wait until there is another solution.

I see no great rush to upgrade to 10.5, although I will do it as soon as it looks safe to do so.

David

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

@David
    I say "...3214 (yeah, I know)" because it's so many builds behind current. I just saw that since it was working so perfectly, it should not be messed with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. At this time, my parallels install is not crucial to my work, but it was months ago, and it will be again when my business picks up. I'm excited to try Leopard, but it's not the end of the world if I don't - things are working just right as they are. When the time does come for the OS upgrade though, I'd like to at least approach it with some knowledge. (Fears of my windows days past creeping into my present OSX nirvana.)

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

WolfgangS, please, check your PM.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

7. driver49

driver49 Member

I'm in the same boat as some of the posters here. I am running P3.0 build 4128 and it has been running problem-free for a while, and I am reluctant to mess with success -- either by updating my P3.0 build or installing Leopard. I had some difficulty getting WinXP installed -- I had to create an image on my Mac HD but I don't recall how I did that. Somebody at Parallels tech support walked me through it but not until I spent nearly 30 mins on hold and the whole thing took an hour. Hence my reluctance. However, I am intrigued to try Leopard eventually. Whoever said "wait a couple of weeks and see what the feedback is like..." might have had the right idea. It'll be around for a while, no need really to be the first on my block.

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

9. Aussie Laurie

Aussie Laurie Bit poster

Just installed Leopard on my Macbook. I'm on Build 3214 and XP is opening just fine. So far have tested Dreamweaver, MS Office apps and Quickbooks and they all work fine.
    Whew.

10. driver49

driver49 Member

If Build 3124 works fine, is it reasonable to assume a later build would work equally well? I'm on 4128. There is a lot about Leopard that is very appealing to me, but I'm trying to be patient about installing it.... Thanks,

--PS

11. NewMac

NewMac Junior Member

upgraded to Leopard last night, running PD3 Build 5160, and so far have had no problems. I use Win XP, use a satellite based USB internet connection, have upgraded some software on my Garmin GPS and can use all of the MS Office programs and not one glitch >PHEWW

12. wpherman

wpherman Bit poster

Loaded Leopard on MacBook, 3G memory, 7200 drive; loading parallels 5160 either locks up my machine or gets a partition time out. If I do get it to work (only once) XP won't shut down and I have to do a forced quit.

13. WolfgangS

WolfgangS Bit poster

Update was successful

The update to Leopard 10.5 from 10.4.10 with installed PD3.0 5160 went absolutly smooth. Vista is running as a virual machine very well.

-Wolfgang

14. drewster

drewster Bit poster

Leopard is working well

Upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. Got two BSODs when launching Vista for the first time. After that, all was good.

I will note that I lost connectivity to my Airport Extreme. I would not even be on the net if it wasnt for a neighbor who had an unlocked wireless network. Thanks for stupidity.

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Post by rtoran was moved here.

Best regards,
    Alicia.