iMac Died - Questions About Installing on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JamesB14, Feb 14, 2020.

1. JamesB14

JamesB14 Bit poster

My mid-2010 iMac finally went into permanent retirement - solid white screen, nothing works to resolve it, Apple cannot fix it. Going up on eBay as a "parts only" item. Not a big deal, as it was stalled at High Sierra anyway. So, I've ordered a new Mac Mini to replace it. The old iMac had a 1TB internal Other World Computing SSD that I am about 99.999% sure is still good. I've taken it out of the iMac and will be mounting it in an external enclosure and will connect it to the Mini.

My Time Machine backup from the iMac was a couple weeks out of date (don't ask why) so I do not plan on restoring anything from it unless absolutely necessary. I assume that I will need to download the current version of Parallels and install it on the Mini, and that "shouldn't" be an issue. My question is where is my Windows 10 guest located on that old SSD that will become my external drive on the Mini? Is there only one file to copy over to the Mini's internal drive to get my Win 10 OS back in operation, or are there other considerations? I sure don't want to re-install Windows 10 and all the applications that I had over there - ughhh.

Thanks, Jim

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Jim.
    Under the finder window search for .pvm that is your vm. This will show you the pathway to your vm. mine is User >users Name> Documents > Parallels> .pvm stored in this file for me. I recently replace my HD and transferred all my info.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. JamesB14

JamesB14 Bit poster

Kat - thanks for the reply. If it is located in the Documents folder I'll be a happy camper, as I was planning on copying the entire contents of that folder from my external SSD to the new Mini's internal drive.

Thanks again, Jim

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Your welcome. I am happy that I could help. Just copy the .pvm file and put it into the same pathway on your new hard drive, it makes it so much easier.

5. CandyH

CandyH Bit poster

Very important tips you share with us keep sharing more. Thank you.