Recovering .hdd file - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WilsonE1, May 26, 2018.

1. WilsonE1

WilsonE1 Bit poster

Hi,
    While running Reclaim Disk Space, my computer turned off leading to a corrupt VM state. Now it won't boot anymore.
    I've already read/tried a multitude of things, to no avail:
    • Running repair from the installation disk
    • Creating a new VM and adding the initial .hdd as a secondary drive
    • Adding various flags to Boot Order advanced properties. None of it worked.
    The reason why I'm still hopeful is that if I open the .hdd file via Parallels Mounter I can actually see and navigate the directory tree. But after a while, and for no apparent reason, the computer stops responding (the host macOS).
    What can I do to save my data? Needless that I'm quite desperate at this point.
    Thanks in advance
    Wilson

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @WilsonE1 , it is always advised to take a back up of Windows virtual machine before reclaiming the disk space. Please let us know if you have any back up and if you have experienced any system corruption errors while running Windows virtual machine.

3. WilsonE1

WilsonE1 Bit poster

Hi Arun
    No, I did not backup the virtual machine.
    What do you mean buy system corruption? That VM does not run anymore. When I try to start it it says it can't find Hard Disk 1.

4. WilsonE1

WilsonE1 Bit poster

This is the error I get when I try to add the original vm hard drive as a secondary drive to my new vm

Attached Files:

5. mmika

mmika Pro

Where is .hdd file located? Is it network share or external disk? Could you generate a problem report technical data and share its ID here?

6. JonathonB

JonathonB Bit poster

I have EXACTLY the same problem....

7. strells

strells Product Expert

Any update on this? I just had the same issue occur.

8. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @WilsonE1 , please follow the steps suggested in the article and check if that works.

9. WilsonE1

WilsonE1 Bit poster

10. MikeS27

MikeS27 Bit poster

I have the same problem but cannot get my file to copy to an external disk so I cant use a windows based repair tool
    Does anyone know if there is MAC OS version of the repair toll that will repair or recover data in an HDD file

11. Hi Mike, Parallels or Apple does not provide any dedicated tool to repair a corrupted HDD file. We would recommend restoring from a backup if available.