vm is not showing files, usb or external hard drives

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JosephK10, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JosephK10

JosephK10 Bit poster

I'm trialing parallels 15 with OS Catalina and Windows 7 installed (which I'm going to upgrade to windows 10 soon). I am not able to see any Mac files or folders, any usb or external hard drive after selecting the windows 7 popup (devices: ask me what to do). I have the (options: sharing: share folders: turned to "all disks"). I have owned parallels 9 then 13, I read that 13 doesn't support Catalina which is fine but I want to make sure 15 is working properly otherwise I will unfortunately will revert back to bootcamp.

2. Hi, did you reinstall Parallels Tools and setup the shared folders at VM configurations?

3. JosephK10

JosephK10 Bit poster

I've have since almost given up, I'm reinstalling parallels 13 and putting windows 7 back in which will then run quickbooks 2014(whole goal). just to do taxes.
    I just downloaded parallels toolbox 7 day trial and can't find shared folders. The only place I see shared folders is through the parallels controls centre, to then open the windows 7 gear icon, then to options, then to sharing. here I see to "share Mac and share windows" box, I've have the all disks and all boxes check marked to allow sharing.
    Do I also need to download another program "parallels tools" also?

4. Hi Parallels Tools must be installed on Windows virtual machine for Sharing to work between Windows and Mac. Please refer to https://kb.parallels.com/115835 .

5. JosephK10

JosephK10 Bit poster

Yes I understand that. I have used parallels since version 9. Where do I download parallels tools. I downloaded parallels 13 from your website and toolbox. Is parallels tools different or separate from these. Where do I download this?

6. Parallels Tools is a Parallels Desktop component, you cab install it using this KB article

7. JosephK10

JosephK10 Bit poster

Great Thank you.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  8. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or issues.