Cannot create VM from or Import Boot Camp. Period.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KenV54, Feb 27, 2020.

1. KenV54

KenV54 Member

I have Catalina 10.15.3, latest Parallels version on a 1 TB OWC Aura drive in a mid 2014 15" rMBP.

I've got Boot Camp running, having imported its clone from my previous Apple 500 GB HD, via Winclone, on a 200 GB partition.

Boot Camp itself runs in active mode perfectly. I can toggle from Legacy to EFI boot mode and back in Boot Camp, and both will boot up on my MBP in either mode. I have used Winclone clones of Boot Camp in the past with no difficulty when I had Mojave and earlier, and have always been able to create a Parallels VM or import Boot Camp into a standalone VM without difficulty.

IOW, there are two new variables: Catalina and the OWC Aura drive.

The Winclone people say that this is no problem with their Boot Camp clones, or at least nothing they can figure out with respect to the VMs. And again, the native Boot Camp itself from their clone works perfectly, just like Boot Camp installed from Apple does.

I've tried all sorts of hardware configurations in Parallels, like EFI and various options in the Windows error screens, all to no avail. All I get is one of these two screens.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.55.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.54.31 PM.png
    So--does anyone have any idea as to the cause of this? Or how to get around it?

If Parallels says it is a Winclone problem, and Winclone says it is a Parallels problem, isn't there some way the two developers could get together and figure it out? Or maybe someone in this forum can do it. Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.55.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.54.31 PM.png

2. kat

kat Product Expert

I don't think Catalina supports 32 bit systems...

3. KenV54

KenV54 Member

I didn't notice that it said system32, or at least I didn't think about it. Maybe that's a clue. But so far as I know, everything I have is 64 bit. Parallels is 64 bit, and my Windows is supposed to be 64 bit Windows 10. How do I figure that out in the native Windows in my Boot Camp (which is working fine)?

4. kat

kat Product Expert

I am not sure if this is your issue it is just something I notice in your photo: in your windows boot camp you want to go to control panel > system and security > system in the middle of the page it will tell you if your system is 32 bit or 64 bit

5. KenV54

KenV54 Member

I checked. In Settings, it says it is 64 bit.

I just created a new Boot Camp via Catalina, de novo, and it works fine with Parallels. So, there is obviously something wrong with the Boot Camp file that I have in an image from Winclone, and not an inherent problem with Parallels.

I also have a saved, imported, freestanding Parallels VM that I had created earlier under Mojave, and it has all the data, apps, etc from my previous Boot Camp, so I'll probably just use that instead of my new, bare bones, Windows 10 Boot Camp. There doesn't appear to be any way to backup the applications and data from the freestanding VM and restore them to the Boot Camp partition.

Or do you know a way to do that? I have a Windows backup program, Aonis Pro, and a USB drive formatted with MSDOS32, but there's no obvious way for the VM to communicate with that external drive.

6. EnchantingA

EnchantingA Bit poster

Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.