January 2020 Windows 10 Update not installable

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JasminM1, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

Hi,
    I've just tried to install the newest Win 10 update from January 2020, but it stops after 100 % installing with the following message:

2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760) - Error 0x800f081f

What's the problem?

kind regards

2. itech

itech Bit poster

I am having the same issue. Downloaded the stand alone version of the update which also failed.

3. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

Hi Maria, I tried really everything to solve this problem. I browsed tons of websites. Nothing worked. It seems that I'm not the only one with this error message but there is no workaround.

4. As a workaround could you please create new Windows VM and add the hard drive from your old VM the new one and get an access to your files at new installed VM.

5. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

Hi Maria, did I understand you correctly: I have to install a complete new Win 10 in a new VM and add the existing hard drive from the old Win 10 installation to this new one? What happens then? How do I get access to the added HD? Can I boot from this added HD or what do I have to do?

6. You will have an access to your "old" hard drive files at the new installed VM.

7. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

Hi Maria, meanwhile I got access to my "old" Windows 10 Installation as a new drive in the new installed Win 10 (as you proposed). But, why I`m not able to boot from this "old" Win10 Installation? Everytime I tried this the VM is not bootable.

8. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

Sorry for my stupid question! Of course it makes no sense to boot with the "old" Win10 installation. If then, I will have the same problem with the update again. Sorry again!

9. NP, are you able to use your new vm without any issue? And please let us know if you have any other questions.

10. JasminM1

JasminM1 Junior Member

Hi Maria, yes, I'm able to use the new installed VM without any problems. All updates are installed and are working. I don't imagine what was the reason for the uninstallable Win10 updates in my old Win10 VM. The only problem is now, that I musst install every software again. Thanks again!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  11. Thanks a lot for sharing your results, please let us know if the issue reoccurs.