Windows 10 VM freezes for 5 to 15 seconds regularly since High Sierra - Parallels 13.0.1 (42947)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndrewB24, Oct 4, 2017.

1. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

Maria,
    I would like to add some info for situation. In fact problem was not solved as I described above. In a few weeks it arize once more and freezes became really awfull.
    I updated Paralells to ver 15 but it doesn't help. As I see, some process of Windows trying to connect to net about 15-20 sec and during this process Windows stopped. I prepared another Virtual maschine and install only some necessary programs. It works fine. Old VM could be executed with the same problem as earlier. As I see, problem is in some incorrect Windows service.

WenhaoL likes this.
  2. traceym1

traceym1 Bit poster

I have a new mac and have loaded parallels on to it ..it freezes at least 6 times per hour .. its hopeless.. I've tried all of the proposed solutions, have uploaded a technical report, have tweeted .. and nothing! Parallels ... what is the solution to this??

WenhaoL likes this.
  3. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

Hi, same problem here with MacOSX 10.14 (MacbookPro15 2017/2to SSD, i7,16GoRAM), windows 10 pro 32bits and 64bits... Freeze few seconds a lot of time.... since months... Impossible de know why... :(((

WenhaoL likes this.
  4. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

I've been fighting this problem since late 2019. I have been wondering if it's the SSD going bad on my MBP late 2013 w/ MacOS 10.14.6. I just disabled TRIM support on my drives connected to the VM and am waiting for it to complete "checking the disks after improper shutdown". I couldn't do anything my machine was completely locked up... It's nearly the 10th time I've seen this message... ugh! Anyway, hopefully that will resolve it for me. I beleive TRIM isn't supported on older Apple SSD's (I think it is on newer SSD's but I could be wrong). If this doesn't resolve it, I'm going to look into O&O' Shutup10 which can disable a lot of the network "noise" that comes with Windows 10

5. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

*Knock on wood!!!

It looks like disabling TRIM support on the drives for my Windows VM did the trick! I have Spotlight indexing enabled, ran Windows updates while running VS2019 and Docker Desktop, all without freezing! I ticked it in a previous version of Parallels Desktop and didn't think about it. My guess is now it's attempting to implement it possibly at the H/W level and it's not supported on my my MBP late 2013's SSD.

6. SANDHYAKUMARIR

SANDHYAKUMARIR Bit poster

7. XavierR1

XavierR1 Bit poster

same issue ....
    not possible to work any more
    Mac OS 11.0.1
    Parallels Desktop 16.1.1 (49141)
    Windows 10 Pro version 1803 version OS 17134.472
    please Help !

AlexA2 likes this.
  8. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

I'm also getting freezing with Mac OS 11 + PD 16, random freezes.

9. Belwood

Belwood Bit poster

Similar issue... MBPro 16Gb, 1TB screamin' Aura Pro X2 SSD, Parallels 16, macOS 11.3. Windows 10 pro and Home VMs freeze-up 5-10 times per day for up to 40 seconds. However, during the freeze-ups, macOS is completely unaffected. I can work completely normally in macOS while the Windoze VMs are frozen solid. Annoyed by the behaviour and perturbed that the issue appears to have been around for years without a clear resolution.

10. MichaelA46

MichaelA46 Bit poster

Any soultiuons to the freeze ups?

11. TheodK

TheodK Member

Hello Michael,
    A solution from another thread in this forum: Go to the MacOS Preferences > Spotlight and disable searching the Parallels VM folder below the Privacy tab by adding this location to the list.
    Theo

12. HugoP

HugoP Bit poster

Hats off to you! I found this post after noticing the slowdowns coincided with Windows task manager showing 100% disk utilization.

I've been going for two days with no freezes after I disabled TRIM in Windows (it's still active in the VM settings, the effect of this is unclear). I should also mention that, during my freezes, MacOS would have the spinning beachball and become mostly unresponsive.

I'm using Parallels 16.5.0 build 49183

13. MichaelA46

MichaelA46 Bit poster

Theo,
    Which VM folder in particular should i be disabling in Spotlight? I did find a folder with the windows 10.pvm file in it that i added but i am not sure if this was the correct folder that you mentioned?