No microphone or camera (Mojave, Parallels 15.1.3)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mcgroarty, Mar 31, 2020.

1. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

I performed a fresh reinstall of macOS Mojave on my iMac Pro, then installed Parallels 15.1.3. Since doing so, both Windows and Linux guest OSes can not handle microphone input anymore. Windows can't see my camera either (I haven't tested camera under Linux).
    Additional notes:
    * Microphone permission is enabled in Security & Privacy. I am never prompted to enable camera there, and it does not appear in the list.
    * macOS input level is 50% on the microphone. I can speak and see the activity indicator in macOS system preferences on the host machine.
    * The guest OS does see a microphone device, but it never receives sound. eg., going to the sound settings in Windows 10 shows no activity on the microphone visualizer. Sound output (speaker) is fine.
    * Switching the guest OS microphone between the built in mic and an external USB mic does not make a difference.
    * For the webcam, Windows doesn't show anything that looks like a camera in Device Manager (what should I look for, and under what section?)
    I tried reinstalling Parallels and the guest tools. What else can I do to troubleshoot?

2. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Per https://kb.parallels.com/124453 I tried setting all virtual machines to "Start up and shut down manually" and the microphone now works. But contrary to those instructions, as soon as I set any VM to "Custom" and either enable automatic startup or set the machine to shutdown rather than suspend on host shutdown, the microphone stops working again.
    I can't get the camera to work at all. Even after following the above instructions, it never prompted me for camera permissions.

3. Hi, could you please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

4. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Report 336747377 submitted

5. OliverS9

OliverS9 Bit poster

Same here, thanks for posting!

6. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

I am happy to report that both camera and microphone are working as expected in Parallels 15.1.4. The microphone started working on its own, and this time it prompted me for camera permission when I disabled camera for a VM and then enabled it again.

Oliver, can you confirm the same?

Maria@Parallels likes this.