Open Source version of Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AlessandroDN, Mar 11, 2020.

1. AlessandroDN

AlessandroDN Bit poster

Hi everybody,
    sorry in advance if this question has been already answered.
    Is there any plan to release (at least part of) the Parallels Tools as open-source and integrate them in the most Linux distributions?
    VMware has a similar initiative (both with their open-vm-tools, and Xorg server driver) so that there is no need to install/upgrade the tools.
    Once the package is installed from the distro it can be update there.
    BTW, I'm available to support the package integration process - I have previous experience with Debian/Ubuntu.

Best
    Ale

(GalaxyMaster) and MagneA like this.
  2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

@AlessandroDN , I posted the exact same question about an year ago and I did not get any official participation :(. It is really sad. I wish Parallels was a bit smarter and would understand that making that part of their software open source will remove a lot of burden from their engineers. I am still hopeful, since on Mac it PD is the only decent virtualisation solution that does not have a long list of issues (and the only GUI that supports Apple's hypervisor).

AlessandroDN likes this.
  3. AlessandroDN

AlessandroDN Bit poster

@GalaxyMaster totally agree with you.
    I love how Parallels cleverly use the Apple Hypervisor framework, and I'm a big fun of the parallels version in the App Store, a version underestimated from parallels itself.
    It's really a shame, the product is very good, perfectly integrated in macOS, though mostly aimed at running Windows. To me VMWare offers a better user experience with macOS and Linux guests:
    • Linux tools is a pain with every new release of the kernel
    • macOS guests are barely usable with their slowness
    I wish Parallels will understand the power of the community, people ready to make the product better.

4. Liothen

Liothen Bit poster

As a gentoo user, i would love this feature!

RyanC16 likes this.