iLok isn't recognized in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrandonB, Feb 8, 2010.

1. BrandonB

BrandonB Bit poster

I have a ProTools iLok dongle that works well in both my Mac and PC, but isn't recognized by my Parallels running XP on my Mac OS X 10.5.8

Every time I successfully install the iLok software it tells me to reboot, I do, then upon re-inserting the dongle, I start ProTools and the program asks me for my iLok, as "no iLok can be found."

Anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Is the iLok a USB dongle? If so, try binding it to the VM instead of to the Mac. Menu Devices -> USB.

3. BrandonB

BrandonB Bit poster

USB dongle

Yeah, it's a USB dongle. Is 'Menu Devices' --> USB, you refer to, in the Virtual PC or is that a setting on my Mac?

Thanks,
    Brandon

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

You can access the VM's USB device bindings from the Parallels menu "Devices". You can also permanently set the bindings in the Parallels Desktop settings.

5. NickK9

NickK9 Bit poster

Hate to open a dead thread but I'm having trouble getting my iLok to work in Windows
    I permanently set the binding in the settings too...rebooted both the host OS and the Windows guest, and still doesn't work
    Windows sees it, but it says that the mac tried to grab it first and gives me a message about iLok not supporting virtual machines
    The iLok device needs to be totally ignored by the mac host in order for this to work, that's the problem...

6. Hi, could you please provide us with the screenshot of the message you got and collect the tech data report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

7. CharlieE2

CharlieE2 Bit poster

I am having the same problem with a VM running MacOS 10.14.6 on a machine running MacOS 10.15.4. iLok license manager cannot communicate with the dongle even when it's implicitly bound to the VM.

8. Hello, is it possible to share with us any screenshot of the issue and collect the tech report as mentioned above?

9. CharlieE2

CharlieE2 Bit poster

Hi, Maria. I sent the tech report in at the same time yesterday and here is a screenshot of the client software reporting the missing ilok. Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 9.03.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 5.37.46 PM.png

10. CharlieE2

CharlieE2 Bit poster

Update: I was able to solve this by running the current iLok license manager (v. 5.2.1) and UNINSTALLING the drivers on the physical 10.15 Mac AND on the 10.14 VM. Then running the prior iLok driver installer (v.4.0.3) on the 10.14 VM only. Now the ilok is recognized by the VM and Pro Tools can run.

11. CharlieE2

CharlieE2 Bit poster

Update 2: I spoke too soon. It has stopped working again.

NickK10 likes this.
  12. oztrev

oztrev Member

Isn't the problem insurmountable? NickK9 said "gives me a message about iLok not supporting virtual machines". If it doesn't support virtual machines, it doesn't support virtual machines!

13. AdamR9

AdamR9 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. It's not that iLok doesn't support virtual machines, it's that when switching to the Windows VM, it doesn't seem to notify OSX that it's been removed, and iLok thinks it's running on two machines. If I disconnect and reconnect the iLok while the VM is running, it then connects successfully. Unfortunately, I need it to be automatic for a build process. Is there any way in parallels to emulate a power cycle for the USB over the command line?

14. NickK10

NickK10 Bit poster

Hey everyone...A few clarifications:
    1.) PACE (the company that makes iLok) does NOT support VMs. They wanted absolutely nothing to do with helping me solve the problem. Doesn't mean it won't work, it means they are a crappy company.
    2.) Parallels does not work, nothing I tried could get it to work, and the Parallels support people were not very helpful, and my free trial was ending, so I gave up and decided not to even bother purchasing the app. I even got an email from someone there asking if I needed help since my trial was about to end, I emailed them back about this problem, and they never responded.
    3.) I switched to VMWare Fusion, and there is no problem. Everything works as expected!

15. NickK10

NickK10 Bit poster

Sorry one more thing, I hinted at it before -- but in order for this to work properly the USB device has to be COMPLETELY IGNORED by the host OS. It can't be grabbed at all once it's plugged in, not even attempted. If there is an attempt to grab it, the iLok will go into freak out mode and it won't work until it's unplugged and plugged back in -- at which point, if it's attempted to be grabbed _again_ by the host --- you see where this is going?

16. NickK10

NickK10 Bit poster

Wow, I couldn't even get it to work doing that. That's interesting. For me the host STILL tried to grab it! Even WITH setting Parallels up to permanently bind the USB device to the VM, shutting down the host OS, unplugging the iLok, booting host OS with it unplugged, booting VM, then plugging it in. The Mac host still tries to grab it when it's plugged in initially! The way Parallels is handling USB devices seems like the problem. For whatever reason, with Fusion, everything works as expected. The only other thing I could think of trying it permanently disabling the iLok KEXT driver in the Mac host, but then you can't ever use the iLok on OS X... :| Not a very good solution, and you may still run into the problem anyway, since the host is still attempting to connect to the USB iLok despite it being persistently bound to the VM. So even if there's no KEXT driver there, it may still screw up the iLok, if it initially detects the different OS X USB host signature.

17. AdamR9

AdamR9 Bit poster

I've now worked out how to do it and have it working with flawless switching. Here's how I got it working...
    • Make sure your iLok manager and Parallels are up to date. Don't know if you should uninstall then re-install but mine worked off-the-bat.
    • On your OSX host, open the iLok manager, and make sure your iLok is seen.
    • Open your Windows Guest. In the devices menu, select your iLok to connect.
    • You'll get the message that they can't be shared between OSs. Dismiss the message.
    • Physically unplug and replug the iLok in.
    • Load up your iLok manager in your Windows Guest.
    • In the left hand side, right click your iLook, and select Synchronise.
    • When it's done, unplug and replug your iLok. It should now be seen in Windows properly.
    • Add it to the list of permanent assignments.
    • Close your Guest, and the OSX iLok should then be seen in your OSX iLok manager.
    • Open your Guest again, and the iLok switches to Windows.
    Couple of notes:
    • I may have also synchronised on the OSX side, but can't remember. You may need to also do this.
    • I don't shut down my VM, just suspend it.
    Hope that helps!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  18. KeithM14

KeithM14 Bit poster

Having this issue as well. 3 years later, any new solutions?