Mouse jumps to near top of screen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bryce2, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Bryce2

Bryce2 Bit poster

When running a guest with mouse set to "optimize for games", the mouse pointer intermittently jumps to near the top of the screen. It happens over and over but is seemingly random. It will go short periods without doing it and then when you least expect it, it jumps again. It happens enough to get very annoying. It happened in full screen as well as windowed. When I set Parallels to not optimize mouse for games, the problem stops. When I set it to auto optimize, it has so far not happened. I tested at the desktop and also with a full-screen game running. It happens with a Linux guest and also with a Windows 10 guest. It does not seem to happen on an OS X guest.

BogdanC likes this.
  2. marcusS

marcusS Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem with CAD tools running on Win-XP. Even not set to "optimised for games" I experience this problem. At the moment you want to move the mouse over menu buttons or so, it jumps to the right top corner. It is not workable this way and I issued some support about it today. Parallels team certainly will find a way around: This is an old problem I had back then with Parallels V11 of V12, so I think it is known how to fix it.

3. Hello, please provide us with your Parallels Desktop and macOS versions?

4. marcusS

marcusS Bit poster

Running Parallels 15, the very latest version on a Mac Pro Catalina machine

Running CAD tools on Win-XP I experienced that <ctrl> c , <ctrl> v (copying an item in CAD) does in more than half the cases let the mouse jump to the top-right of (both) screens. I am running Windoze in a dual full screen modus (as a separate space) on my MAC. With all Parallels mouse modes I experience jumps, but the best result I have until now is with -strangely- set for optimise for games. It is suggested to upgrade Parallels Tools under windoze, but I have the latest anyway, and apart from this I am VERY reluctant in doing this, for obvious reasons... (losing all settings etc. So the ticket #2741271 and tips on forum suggesting this is of no use.)

I hope that Parallels finds out a good solution for this. I think that if you use a separate space, the user does not want to see MAC bars: It should be possible to set to handle the windoze only, until you jump back with <ctrl> arrow-key. In this case it is also better to control the mouse and keyboard with predictable behaviour.... I think. I am just doing a suggestion here. Anyway, Parallels team has proven to be very good and they will find a way around for us.

5. marcusS

marcusS Bit poster

I had contact with support. In case of using Catalina on your MAC, Parallels 15 and running Windows-XP on it, take care that your mouse settings are as follows:

Mouse: Don't optimise for games
    Keyboard: Optimize for games (not important here, this is as I have it set)
    Ensure that in the Advance Settings (below) you have the box tick on for "Mouse pointer sticks at window edges". Click on the arrow to check this out.

If your settings are not the same, do the following:
    Click on the cog-wheel to enter Parallels "Windows-XP" Configuration. Choose "Mouse and Keyboard" at the left. Set the mouse and keyboard as mentioned above.
    Now your mouse should behave fine under the old and obsolete -but very speedy- Windoze-XP. For CAD work this is absolutely great.
    To my experience, working with a separate (dual) space, in full screen, it is very efficient working with your virtual machine. I have P-CAD running on it, a tool from 2006 that I use a lot.

6. BogdanC

BogdanC Junior Member

Had the same issue in Windows 10

7. JimmyP5

JimmyP5 Bit poster

This worked for me. MacOS Big Sur and Win10.