Poor performance for Overwatch on Parallels 15/Catalina

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SalD1, Apr 1, 2020.

1. SalD1

SalD1 Junior Member

Trying to play OW on the lowest video settings and 30 fps. The game stutters a lot and can't even run with solid 30 fps. Is that normal?

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) with these specs:
    Processor: 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
    Memory: 24 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

I have Parallels 15 set on Gaming mode, and I gave it 2 GB graphics memory.

The game was running perfectly with bootcamp on the ultra video settings and high fps, but I was hoping Parallels 15 would give me at least a somewhat decent performance. Is that the best it can do?

2. SalD1

SalD1 Junior Member

bump :confused:

3. JeffM19

JeffM19 Bit poster

Same problem here, wondering if there's a way to fix this?
    I've used bootcamp to run the game and it's really really smooth.

4. SalD1

SalD1 Junior Member

I'm not even sure if that's a problem or if that's the best that Parallels can do.
    I noticed a lot of ppl are having a poor gaming experience with Parallels. And I think my iMac has decent specs and shouldn't have problems playing games like OW.

I hope if someone is having a better experience with gaming using parallels to let us know. So we can at least acknowledge it as a problem and look for a fix...

5. SalD1

SalD1 Junior Member

bump

6. SalD1

SalD1 Junior Member

Can anyone having a good experience gaming with parallels tell us if there is a fix?

7. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

The one thing off the bat I can think of, what resolution are you running at in the game? Windows via Parallels may be getting confused with the 5K native resolution of the panel and trying to run the game at that, which would be ungodly slow, even under bootcamp.

8. SalD1

SalD1 Junior Member

I've always set the game's resolution to 1920*1080. After I posted this thread, I realized that the resolution of Windows was higher, I lowered it to 1920*1080. Since then, the game's fps became slightly better, but still it's not stable at all.

9. CarlaA1

CarlaA1 Bit poster

Not familiar with the topic.

10. SonuN1

SonuN1 Bit poster

Performance definitely takes a hit over natively running the game, but its actually not terrible. They have designed in a gaming mode that lets you squeeze out a bit more fps too. You'll still need some solid gaming hardware, especially for more demanding titles (even on native windows you need a good GPU and decent CPU). The integrated chips won't cut it for modern AAA games.
    targetpayandbenefits login

11. Hello guys, could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

12. arturos2

arturos2 Bit poster

I'm not entirely certain if this is a problem or if this is the best performance Parallels can offer. I've observed that many people are experiencing subpar gaming performance with Parallels. Given the decent specifications of my iMac, I don't believe there should be issues playing games like Overwatch.

13. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Detailed description of your issue
    2. Reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

14. JoyP

JoyP

Same problem here, wondering if there's a way to fix this?
    I've used bootcamp to run the game and it's really really smooth.

15. woltern

woltern

Overwatch may be running poorly on Parallels 15/Catalina for a number of reasons. One possibility is that your Mac lacks the essential hardware for Overwatch to function properly. Another hypothesis is that Overwatch and Parallels are at odds with one another. Additionally, there can be an issue with Parallels' installation or settings.
    You can attempt the following steps to enhance Overwatch's performance on Parallels 15/Catalina:

• Verify that your Mac satisfies Overwatch's minimal hardware requirements.
    • Download the most recent version of Parallels.
    • Download the most recent version of Overwatch.
    • A virtual computer with additional resources might be used to run Overwatch.
    • Run Overwatch in a virtual computer running a different version of macOS.
    • Try turning off any superfluous Parallels features.
    • Try removing Parallels and then reinstalling it.