Ubuntu 18.04 File Sharing Help Needed

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by FireClown, May 2, 2020.

1. FireClown

FireClown Member

I am installing Ubuntu 18.04 to use as a pi-hole. I am doing the install from a fresh iso download. During the installation Parallels created my primary user account, including password. I have not touched that password. It's the one and only password I know of and I darned well know what it is (you can guess where this is going, but I've never really used Linux before, so I could be missing something very obvious).

After Parallels Tools installation and a reboot, I am trying to connect to the VM from Finder. Nope; there is no VM listed in the Finder under Network. Back to the VM...

It looks like file sharing isn't set up so I select the Documents folder in Files, right-click and pick Local Network Share. I am then prompted to install the Folder Sharing service (or something like that), which proceeds smoothly as far as I can tell. The share is set up (I think), now back into the Mac side of things...

Okay, now we see the VM in Finder and... click Connect, enter my username and password, and... What do you mean those are not correct? Try again. And again. And again. Try starting this whole process over. And again.

Finder insists that my username and password are not my username and password. I can reboot the VM with that password. It's the one and only ever assigned in the VM. Yet, Finder insists it isn't.

There is clearly something about Linux file sharing that I am ignorant of. Can anyone enlighten me on what I am missing?

2. LeticiaM1

LeticiaM1 Junior Member

Well, I think all sharing protocols and directories should be centralized in Settings > Sharing.
    WebDAV and DLNA are already there.

I was looking at Media Sharing and I think Samba should have a similar interface.
    [​IMG]

fbvideodl.com

3. zslg01

zslg01 Member

First of all remember the Apple wrote their own smb code (the file sharing code). Ok - with that out of the way try these steps.

Try connecting directly to the file server -- from Mac go to Go ->Connect to server ... then enter smb://hostname/disk. If needed backspace over the "afp" that appears there by default.
    Here "hostname" is either the local IP address for the file server or the host name of the file server. the "disk" should be the share name - the name of the disk you are trying to access. Enter the user name and password for the userid on the file server.
    I have found that Mac/Linux file sharing works but can be a bit problematic since Apple implemented their own version of the SMB file sharing protocol. Most of the problems can be traced back to their implementation. Sometimes they are ahead of *nix sometimes behind.

For shares on the same machine (macOS <-> ubuntu in a VM) I use the Parallels Tools and let it do its thing - that is all controlled in the preferences for the VM under Parallels. The "sharing" tab lets you turn on and off sharing and define what directories/disks are to be shared.

If you still want to use networks for sharing make sure that the ubuntu firewall isn't blocking you - if it is on turn it off. If you can then get a connect, put a rule in to let smb through then restart it.

The other thing I have done in the past is make sure that the ubuntu userid is in the "sambashare" group (you can check this in the user administration panel on ubuntu).

Good luck - I've had about a 70/30 success ratio on this. You will also run into issues after a power outage or shutdown of the server VM - the Mac might need to reboot to reset the hung share.