High CPU Usage / Basically unusable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SeanP7, Oct 27, 2019.

1. SeanP7

SeanP7 Bit poster

3 years ago, on the same MacBook Air w/ i7 that I have now, I was the envy of the office. I could start up a Windows vm and launch applications before those with Windows machines could even boot. I could swipe back and forth - Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac - it was a thing of beauty.

All that is gone.

Since upgrading to v14 and now to v15 out of desperation, my VMs are basically useless. They are consistently, and for long periods of time, pegging my Mac CPU even though utilization of the guest is low. My MacBook has the i7 and an SSD and the guests are configured with the recommended RAM and CPU resources. Nothing has changed. In fact, the Windows 7 machine is still the very same VM it was under v13 that worked great. Today I'm on Mojave, but I even upgraded to v15 in case there was some incompatibility.

I've tried changing the Hypervisor to Apple instead of Parallels, no difference. I've read through endless other forum posts that either don't apply or don't work.

Today I wanted to fire up Ubuntu, which has NEVER been an issue. Of course, like even bare metal, my Ubuntu machine has always been fast and run perfectly. Today for the first time running on v15 it barely ran. Parallels Tools took 10 minutes to install and once it rebooted it felt like I was running on the first version of Raspberry Pi.

What gives? How do I go back to 3 year old v13 performance?

2. RobS15

RobS15 Bit poster

I second this. Been working in Visual Studio on Windows 10 in a VM. Performance in v14 degraded but workable. With Catalina and v15 this is a thing of the past. Opening Visual Studio takes several minutes. Building a solution basically freezes the VM. No possibility to do anything while the build is in progress....
    Please fix these issues asap.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Go back to macOS 10.14.3 #86

4. fast-tl

fast-tl Bit poster

My performance in Window 10 has been horrible, also. At first I thought it was because I was running 32-but Windows 10. I bloew that away and reinstalled 64-bit. There WAS an improvement, but now when I resume from sleep mode, it takes Windows forever to be usable. even when I fully shut down the VM, and restart it, it may be 10 minutes before the CPU usage is below 80%. It's terrible.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Comparing my VM (same USB external drive, 10 Gbps) on Mac Mini 2018 (10.15.4, Core i3) vs Mac Pro 2008 (10.14.3, dual 4 core Xeon) both with 64 GB of RAM, the Mac Mini performed a series of Sql Server queries 7.5 times as fast (45 min) as the Mac Pro (5.5 hours). So while I get good performance with 10.14.3 (vs 10.14.4 or later) on my Mac Pro 2008, somehow the Mac mini does way better.