The Mac or "<vm name>" configuration has been changed since "<vmname>" was suspended

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by clarifix, May 9, 2020.

1. clarifix

clarifix Member

I get this message for the last 2 weeks or so, using version Version 15.1.4 (47270) on my MacBook. It happens with all my VMs, regardless of guest OS.
    I have the option to reset or cancel.
    If I reset, it's basically a bad thing. It just hard resets the VM.
    If I cancel, and just wait 5 seconds, and then try again to resume, the VM happily resumes...

Didn't find anything on these forums, so I guess it must be something with my setup. Or can anyone confirm the same behaviour?

2. Hello, where did you get the reset or cancel option? Are you able to shut your VM down?
    Please share a bit more details with us, thanks in advance.

3. clarifix

clarifix Member

The message "The Mac or "<vm name>" configuration has been changed since "<vmname>" was suspended" is part of a dialog box. The dialog box has 2 buttons: "Cancel" and "Reset". So these reset and cancel options are part of this dialog box. This dialog appears when I resume a virtual machine from its suspended mode.
    During this dialog box event, I am only able to click on the "Cancel" button or the "Reset" button. After the dialog has been dismissed using "Reset", I have to wait until the machine restarts, and then I am able to shut it down. If I click "Cancel", nothing happens, and the virtual machine stays suspended. When a virtual machine is in suspended mode, I see no immediate way to shut it down.
    I hope this clarifies the problem a bit more. Please feel free to ask more questions.

4. clarifix

clarifix Member

O and just to be sure, the <vm name> I mentioned in the previous post refers to the names of my virtual machines, which is irrelevant to the problem and just an indication that in each dialog box, the name of the specific virtual machine that has this specific problem, is displayed.

5. clarifix

clarifix Member

I now noticed that this is not only happening when simply resuming a VM - actually retrying after 5 seconds wasn't really a big problem.
    Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 12.52.33.png
    But today I encountered a dialog where Parallels simply refused to revert to a snapshot. Choosing "Cancel" does not revert to the snapshot and a 5 second wait doesn't change that. The purposes of taking a snapshot to safeguard data has become moot here, and this problem has become somewhat more serious.
    Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 20.14.47.png

6. Please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Thanks in advance.

7. clarifix

clarifix Member

You're welcome.
    Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 09.32.33.png

8. clarifix

clarifix Member

I have sent the tech report 2 weeks ago. Could you please tell me if you have received it?

9. Hello, sorry for the delay please. We've got your report and continue the issue investigation.
    We will provide you with the update soon.

10. clarifix

clarifix Member

This tech report has been submitted 2 months ago. I still get the error today. I understand if the lockdown is not helping things progress, but that update would be greatly appreciated.

11. MichaelS115

MichaelS115 Member

I am also interested in solving the problem. Thank you for your inquiry.

12. clarifix

clarifix Member

I use Parallels almost every day, and I am almost always confronted with this inexcplicable dialog. this is costing me productivity.
    There is one time per year that a customer is really king. The day the decision is made if renewing the license is worth it.

13. clarifix

clarifix Member

Hi Michael,
    "Security & Privacy" System Preferences, tab "Privacy". I think this "feature" is available if you have Catalina installed, I notice this "Security & Privacy" thing becomes more crowded as we advance through the macOS versions.

I did not see "Parallels Desktop" in the "Files and Folders" section. For some reason, even when you authorize yourself, you cannot force add an application, or add a folder to that list. As I experience the behaviour, an application has to request access, and after that request, you can find the application in the section where it is requesting access. And there the behaviour of the currently latest Parallels Version 15.1.4 (47270) seems to go wrong.

I have given Parallels Desktop "Full Disk Access" in the section right above. After doing so and restarting Parallels I got the error one more time for my suspended virtual machines, but after a second resume, the problem seemed to be resolved.
    After I revisited the "Files and Folders" section, Parallels was there, with a greyed out "Full Disk Access" under its name.
    I then revoked "Full Disk Access" to Parallels, and now it shows the documents folder among others. Since the virtual machines are in my documents folder, I think this is the most important entry.
    After all this fiddling around, the error has disappeard.
    For now. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

14. clarifix

clarifix Member

And I am not really happy with the way this support request was handled. @Maria@Parallels - this is not meant personally of course. Maybe the way Parallels is communicating could use a bit of improvement.

15. Hi, we're sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the Support.
    We're investigating your issue and will contact you by email soon.

16. We would like to inform you that we involved Parallels Engineering Team in this case.
    Once we get any updates we will let you know.

17. clarifix

clarifix Member

Indeed, I received a mail from someone from the engineering team. Now that we are a few days later, I am confident that the "privacy control panel fiddle" descibed above takes care of the issue, because it did not happen anymore. So feel free to close this support ticket.
    Cheers! -- peter
    PS: I explained this as well to the engineer.

18. Thanks a lot for sharing your results withs us.
    And for thanks a lot for your patience

19. Hello guys,
    We're happy to inform you that Parallels Desktop 16 is finally here.
    Please install, test and check the issue.

Share with us your results please.