Tools issue, not fully functional

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by rickm11, May 14, 2020.

1. rickm11

rickm11 Bit poster

So I am using Parallels on my iMac running High Sierra with Mojave on a Parallels VM, I have tried a number of times to install Parallel tools and its sort of installed, but won't let me fully congfigure the VM. I get the message "Some of the settings can't be changed until the virtual machine is shut down", doesn't matter how many times i install Parallel tools and restart its still the same. Any clues for what I am missing?

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.25.37 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.25.51 pm.png

2. Hi rickm11. Please start the virtual machine and select Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Shut down. Then try changing the settings and it should work.

3. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Staff Member

Hi rickm11, as Sathiya suggested above, shut down the virtual machine and after that change video memory size to 64Mb and then start the virtual machine. After that you should be able to change other setting and apply them.

4. rickm11

rickm11 Bit poster

Thanks Sathiya, that worked, I must have been having a blonde moment, I was reading it as the VM needed to be restarted to adjust the settings rather than realising it said the VM needed to be shut down!

5. rickm11

rickm11 Bit poster

Hi Ivan, I was able to change settings while it was shut down, the video memory was already set on 64mb, but when I restart it still has the same message and doesn't allow some settings to be changed.

6. rickm11

rickm11 Bit poster

Also, I am wondering if there is a way to run a Mac OS VM in coherence mode, and see the menu bar? When I change the view to coherence the app behaves as expected, but the lack of a menu bar for the app makes it unusable in this view. I can see how to use Parallel tools to manage this if its a Windows VM, to show the task bar, but that setting for apps is not in the toolbox for a Mac VM.

7. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Have you tried changing the menu bar location before switching to Coherence?.
    In Windows you get menu bar problems if you have it set to 'auto hide', and it is on the same edge of the screen as the Mac bar.

8. rickm11

rickm11 Bit poster

Thanks for the idea but the menu bar location is not portable in OSX, it always sits at the top of an open app window.

9. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Actually you can move it if you have multiple monitors. If you change the monitor order, the menu bar moves depending on how you have them laid out.
    I found it fixed an issue for me... :)

10. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

You can also put it on the left or right, from the system preferences.
    Preferences. Dock. There are three buttons, for left, bottom & right.

11. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Actually this is for dock, not the menu bar. However the menu bar can be accessed by keyboard shortcuts, so you should be able to use these to get whatever you want. With something in the second OS selected, CTRL F2, should link your keyboard to the menu bar. The menu bar being fixed at the top of the Mac screen is a fundamental bit of it's design.