No sound at Catalina 10.15.2! (Parallels Desktop 15.1.2 for Mac)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NikolayA2, Jan 31, 2020.

1. DerekD2

DerekD2 Bit poster

I am also encountering this issue. I tried switching to the Apple hypervisor, with no effect.

2. KenB8

KenB8 Bit poster

Performance isn't nearly as good for me on "Apple" hypervisor, so not an option for me. My sound output is still breaking, but found some things that help:
    • I've reduced the frequency of occurrences by changing my Energy Saver settings to "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" when on power adapter.
    • I was able to restore sound/microphone by 1) unplugging my two external monitors (they are listed as a sound output source), 2) killing coreaudiod (i.e. "sudo pkill coreaudiod" on the Terminal), and 3) plugging back in the external monitors.
    This has worked for me without having to shutdown Windows VM and restart my mac (the only thing that consistently worked previously). Will update this post if it seems to be a consistent solution.

3. ZhenT1

ZhenT1 Member

I tested with latest Parallels Desktop, Version 15.1.4 (47270)
    same issue, but after I changed to Apple Hypervisor, it resolved.

4. SzymonW

SzymonW Bit poster

I'm encountering this for long time.
    It's making WFH almost impossible - when any meeting start I have to restart MacOS everytime. Good I'm not sound engineer..
    But it's really really big burden to use Parallels with Catalina (using MacBook Pro from 2018 with newest updated and as well for Parallels with Windows 10).

5. SzymonW

SzymonW Bit poster

Can't edit the post that is not approved. Wanted to add that it appears later if for example headphones are connected and I launch Parallels - it happens then after a while.
    But if I disconnect and reconnect then it's almost immediately - sound is down

6. Hello what it your Parallels Desktop version?

7. SzymonW

SzymonW Bit poster

Hello Maria!
    Info below:
    Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Pro Edition
    15.1.4 (47270)

Mac info:
    macOS Catalina 10.15.4
    MacBook Pro 15" 2018

8. JerryM6

JerryM6 Bit poster

I, along with several other users from our company, have experienced the same issue being reported. The only two things that we have found as reliable workarounds while using the VM are:
    • Use a USB headset
    • Use the APPLE hypervisor
    For us, there was too much of a performance issue to keep using the APPLE hypervisor. Suspending/shutting down a VM is required once the sound issue starts. The issue is not always immediate after starting a VM but generally happens within the 1st hour of use.

Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Pro Edition 15.1.4 (47270) using a Windows 10 VM
    MacBook Pro 15" 2018 running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

9. Zedorff

Zedorff Bit poster

Facing the same issue like from the start of the year (like the OP).

Using APPLE hypervisor is not an option, it affects performance too much.
    The only working solution for me so far is just shutting down the VM, which is pretty annoying and preventing me from work.

It's been around 5 months since the issue was reported, and still no fix or acceptable workaround for this issue which not affects performance.
    This issue should have been prioritized for a long time.
    Is there any progress or approximate time when this issue would be fixed?

Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Pro Edition 15.1.4 (47270) with lates Ubuntu LTS VM
    MacBook Pro 15" 2018 running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

10. RonakP

RonakP Bit poster

We have 92 macbooks we use at our college each and every single one has this issue. Working with support resulted in nothing. We happened to stumble upon this thread by accident.

Thankfully all 92 macbooks have changed to the apple hypervisor but performance has been an issue. At this point in time we will not be renewing our subscription to Parallels.

Ours devices are Macbook and Macbook Pro all running Catalina and latest version of Parallels.

11. OzianderN

OzianderN Bit poster

Hi folks,

same issue here. Running Parallels 15.1.4 and Catalina OS 10.15.4. Need a solution from Parallels ASAP. Rebooting Mac or changing the Hypervisor is not a feasible solution.

12. Thank you for you reply and sorry for the delay in response. Please collect the tech report data right after the issue reproduced and post report's ID here.

13. ZhenT1

ZhenT1 Member

Hello, I tested the latest macOS (10.15.5) it doesn't work for me.

I have to change back Apple hypervisor or have a test of USB headset.

14. ZhenT1

ZhenT1 Member

I think I can confirm if you change to use an USB headset, the issue resolved.

I tested with a HUAWEI Type-C headset which is attached with a phone.

15. EdmondT

EdmondT Bit poster

I also have the same problem in the Steelseries Arctis 7 headset
    it turns out it's just a problem of the driver ..
    after I updated the Steelseries Arctis 7 driver everything returned to normal

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  16. RonakP

RonakP Bit poster

Can you provide an update on the existing ticket we made about the issue back in March? It was passed to the DEV team but we have not heard anything.
    Ticket number is : Parallels #2720664

17. Hi, this issue is still under investigation with the Parallels Engineering team. Once we get any updates we will let you know.

18. IndyJones72

IndyJones72 Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels - thanks for the update. This is a pretty serious issue for our company as well. We can't go Apple Hypervisor as we are a development company and need the performance at top levels. Our is a pretty similar story. Sound is completely disabled on MacBook speakers when VM is running. Plugging in headphones to the headphone jack (not the USB-C ones) will work, but sometimes that fails as well and we need to unplug and plug back in to work. As soon as VM is suspended, everything magically works again. Hoping for a solution here very very very soon!!!!!!

RonakP likes this.
  19. We understand your concern and doing our best to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience.

20. DavidT36

DavidT36 Bit poster

Hello, i've had this for the last 3 months now.

I've tried all of the above mentioned solutions, but none of them have worked for me. What's more i was recently in a skype call with my work when the recent sound cut happened. I had to fully reboot the macbook to get audio back as simply suspending and clkosing windows and parallels had no effect for me.

It's getting very frustrating as i'm now having to reboot ever few hours which is seriously hampering work flow. Should this carry on then when my subscription expires later this year i'm going to have to reconsider and possibly look at duel booting. Something i dont want to do as for the most part i prefer parallels, especially with the coherence mode.